Question about overhead rain shower

Options
Hi all!

I have just had a bathroom redone and we got one these installed.

Our combi boiler is set to max on the water temperature setting and water at kitchen tap gets very hot, upstairs bathroom tap is hot, handheld shower and bath filler is quiet warm too but come tot he overhead shower head, it is just warm enough but not the same as the handheld and nowhere near as warm/hot as it is at the bathroom tap (same room).

Can someone help me understand why this may be the case? The shower head is quite high up - my husband of 6' 4.5" can fit just under the shower head (the shower head is over a shower bath). Could that be playing in to it? The handheld shower gets its feed from a point about 3 feet or so lower but is comfortably warm although I wouldn't mind it a bit warmer.

What can be done to fix the temperature at the shower head, if anything?

Thank you!

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Combi boilers have a limited power and this means there is a limit to temperature rise x water flow.

Rain showers use a lot of water and it's probably the combi simply can't supply that amount of hot water. Either get a shower that uses less water, get a more powerful combi, or get a mains pressure stored hot water cylinder (Megaflo or equivalent).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • lifes-too-short
    Options
    Agree with Owain - You could always go electric unless you have just redone your bathroom (could be messy).

Approx cost of £250 - £300 supply and fit depending on cable runs/shower type etc. Instant hot water if you have the pressure (minimum usually at 1bar)
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi.

Read the installation instructions.

What does it say about setting up and using the thermostat control?

If in doubt get the installer to set it up properly.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to sack your plumbers as well as your sparks!
    As others have said, those rain head showers use ALOT of water. I have one, but I don't have a combi boiler - but a hot water tank and pumped system and it's fine.
  • lifes-too-short
    Options
    Fluffpot, just out of interest how much would this cost for the hot water tank and pumped system ?
  • Roaming
    Roaming Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    I agree fluffpot! Wish I could. At this point .. (they started on the 2nd of April) I just want them to finish what they started and leave. :-|

I did try asking the plumber do check our combi system flow rate against the shower heads flow rate but don't think he was too bothered. I knew I wasn't just making up factors that could make a difference but I relied on him being the 'qualified professional'. With the number of mess ups he has done on this job alone I would never recommend him because his standard response is... it never came with any literature etc etc even though I've given him weblinks from the company to refer to.

*deep breath*

The system is in now though, its concealed behind tiles which is another consideration if I want the water supply changed from combi boiler to... hot water tank and pump (probably in the loft above?) fed by mains pressure? Like L-T-S just asked, how much would this cost? Not that I think in our situation it would be worth it, but would be good to know in case we do find spare cash.
    fluffpot wrote: »
    Sounds like you might need to sack your plumbers as well as your sparks!
    As others have said, those rain head showers use ALOT of water. I have one, but I don't have a combi boiler - but a hot water tank and pumped system and it's fine.
  • Roaming
    Options
    I thought about that factor when purchasing the shower and did check the combi boiler manual. But then with assurances from the plumber or perhaps lack of anything definite to put me off I went ahead anyway.

Any idea how much a boiler upgrade would cost? Could I do a trade in? I have a Glow worm condensing combi boiler - 24cxi I believe. It was supposedly new when we got the house.

Combi boilers have a limited power and this means there is a limit to temperature rise x water flow.

Rain showers use a lot of water and it's probably the combi simply can't supply that amount of hot water. Either get a shower that uses less water, get a more powerful combi, or get a mains pressure stored hot water cylinder (Megaflo or equivalent).
  • fluffpot
    edited 15 April 2012 at 3:37PM
    Options
    Not a clue, as I'm an electrician.... sorry

But it won't be cheap...it will involve new pipework, a new boiler obv(!) pumps (£500 a pop min) plus you'll have to find space for a hot water storage tank.
    Might be better/cost effective to change the shower even if it means some destruction in the bathroom and the plumber should not charge for this as it's his fault for not checking the compatibility. If the shower is not usable as the water is cool, then he's not done his job properly - has he?

Out of interest, what was in the bathroom before and how were the water temps?
  • Roaming
    Options
    When we bought the house there was an archaic/dead Mira electric shower hung on one wall at the foot end of the bathtub - at the least the part with the controls. And at the other end there were bath taps. The temperature was ok I think, only noticed afterwards when we had it all taken out that the boiler had been set to eco for water so I'm sure if it was giving warm on eco before, it would have given hot once the boiler water temperature had been turned up.

This was all very outdated so there was no way we could keep it so everything had to go.
  • fluffpot
    Options
    Hmmm, make me wonder why they fitted an electric shower in the first place - unless it was just to avoid routing the 'hot' pipes to the other end of the bath? I always advise customers to look at all the plumbed in options for showers first - using electric as only a last resort.

Best get some plumbing advice I think. I do still agree with others on there that the underlying problem is probably that your combi boiler can't deliver hot water at the 'speed' required by the shower

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport