Unsolicited MasterCard from U Account

Anybody else received an unsolicited MasterCard debit card from the "bank" U?

Came in the post this week with a real enough looking debit card with a single page letter - no mention of any application and certainly none has been made.

I've googled them and it looks like they may be a prepaid card thing but quite worrying that someone has applied for something in my name...

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    foxa8m3 wrote: »
    Anybody else received an unsolicited MasterCard debit card from the "bank" U?

Came in the post this week with a real enough looking debit card with a single page letter - no mention of any application and certainly none has been made.

I've googled them and it looks like they may be a prepaid card thing but quite worrying that someone has applied for something in my name...

The only “U” bank I can find with a quick google search is an Australian bank.

Seems odd that they be sending you a debit card unsolicited.
  • Some banks just send a pretend card with an application. You sure it’s not just that?

If it’s got a full card number, expiry date and cvs then worry
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    boo_star wrote: »
    The only “U” bank I can find with a quick google search is an Australian bank.

Seems odd that they be sending you a debit card unsolicited.
    well I googled and the top entry was an ad link to https://www.uaccount.uk for a pre paid card :p

Wonder if it is a blank card and just part of marketing strategy
  • derps
    derps Posts: 137 Forumite
    You'd better check with them that someone hasn't applied for the account by impersonating you, OP. Maybe they were hoping to intercept the card.
  • Did it have your name on the card and was the valid from date the current month?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If the company advise you that someone has applied for the card in your name, it's definitely worth checking your credit files to see if they show any other searches that you don't recognise. The following MSE article explains how you can check all three agencies for free: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report

If you think your identity has been stolen, here is the link to a section on what you can do about it: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/identity-fraud#stolen
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unbank of U previously known as Ffrees which will be better known to some MSEers and issued by Wirecard.

Yup check the searches on your credit history at all three CRAs but U and/or Wirecard might not be the company which is listed if U and/or Wirecard used a different company to do the search. They are unlikely to appear as an account on your credit history because they don't provide credit as far as I know.
    https://www.uaccount.uk
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No credit and you are charged a monthly fe and for ATM transactions and DD etc. Seems to be aimed at those without bank accounts.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Could it be possible that the OP's harvested data has been supplied to the company operating this prepaid card, who have recognised a possible target for their direct marketing consisting of sending an actual card, on the chance that they hook a customer?

Certainly anyone in their right mind and normal circumstances would never consider such a product which charges for every move you make unless you pay them £10 per month. So that may be their most effective strategy.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nic_c wrote: »
    No credit and you are charged a monthly fe and for ATM transactions and DD etc. Seems to be aimed at those without bank accounts.
    eDicky wrote: »
    Could it be possible that the OP's harvested data has been supplied to the company operating this prepaid card, who have recognised a possible target for their direct marketing consisting of sending an actual card, on the chance that they hook a customer?

Certainly anyone in their right mind and normal circumstances would never consider such a product which charges for every move you make unless you pay them £10 per month. So that may be their most effective strategy.

"Unbank" as in "Unbank of U" hijacks the old term "Unbanked" which applied to those who due to necessity or choice didn't have bank accounts and used the alternative financial market which included prepaid cards, doorstep lenders and payday lenders. While payday lenders still persist the new breed of Basic Bank Accounts largely put a stop to domestic prepaid cards and the new breed of Credit Unions provide an alternative to doorstep and payday lenders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure