Are we nearly there yet?

Comments

• Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DebtFreeDuo thank you. I think it will require getting a plumber in to disconnect and reconnect the toilet in order to clean it all properly, but apparently that isn't too big of a job... I am just really nervous about renting in general and knowing I could get given two months to move out at any point, so I think I'm a bit too anxious to stay one step ahead and move on my own accord. If that makes any sense. I guess I just don't feel secure. That is my own issue though, and not anything that has been said to me by the agents.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Pauper1
    I've been to look at a couple of houses this afternoon with my dad, and they don't compare space-wise to where we are now. Plus there are lots of reasons to stay here.

So dad came back to mine to look at the mould and see what he thinks (ex-landlord). He said if it was his house, he'd want to get the mould sorted as it could be affecting the structure and would definitely come up in a survey if he were to ever sell. But regardless, he thinks he can take the cistern off (trained in plumbing and electrics - handy dad to have!) and then use the spray stuff to clean it. He thinks that as the house was empty for so long before we moved in that the landlord would be unlikely to just turf us out as he would possibly struggle to find anyone again.

I think this is probably the best option, cheapest and the least stressful. I'll just accept that the landlord only does the essentials I guess.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I know what you mean about renting but unless the landlord has a very good reason then they aren't going to want to lose rental income. I really want to get on to the property ladder but I know that it makes absolutely no financial sense for me to at the moment and I wouldn't get a mortgage with being a student even if I had enough deposit.

Landlords can give us 2 months notice but if you couldn't find anywhere in that space then they can't actually remove you from the property without going to court, I believe there are cases that have taken 40 weeks for them to go through the whole process so do try not to stress over it.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Pauper1
    Thank you DFD that has put my mind at ease.

I ventured outside of the OS/DFW boards yesterday and I'm never doing it again...:rotfl: (I did get some good advice though but also a lot of judgement)

This morning we are doing housework *sigh* again..! Then heading in to town - I'm hoping to magically find two perfect, identical curtains for cheap in the chazza shops, and pick up some presents from B0ots.

Then we're seeing the in laws and heading to the fireworks (going to a back entrance and hanging out for free at the gate haha :money:)

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh no, I really hate it when people judge one another, I know that most people will judge at some point in their lives but unless they are absolutely perfect then they really shouldn't judge others. Also judging people doesn't help them get out of any situation, instead it could have the opposite affect as they won't seek any help that may be required because they are afraid of being judged further. I hope people weren't too judgmental and I hope you feel that this is a safe place free from being judged.

Have a wonderful day, we are heading out to a firework display later this evening.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Pauper1
    edited 6 November 2017 at 4:46PM
    I didn't manage to find my perfect curtains in the charity shops, so I guess I need to buy some new. They're SO expensive though :(

DS woke up with a cough on Saturday morning, then developed a temperature during the day. Saturday night he woke up struggling to breathe and "barking" so an ambulance was called. Luckily... he has asthma so we had an inhaler to hand while we were waiting which massively helped (so did throwing up it seems). Typically he was basically back to normal when the paramedics arrived, although they were divided on whether to take him in. DH made the final decision and we stayed home. Think we finally made it back to bed about 3am.

It was a bad day for our washing machine to break. Had to leave all our sicky bedding on the landing and sleep on towels and blankets from downstairs. My mum came to pick up all our washing and she did loads of it yesterday, and leant us a duvet for last night. We had a look at some second hand machines online but with soon to be two in cloth nappies we decided to buy brand new *squeak* for the warranty. It should be coming tomorrow.

We took DS to the doctors yesterday and he got prescribed some steroids, which she said could make him more "active" but he also needs to rest... :rotfl: yep.

My list today is -
    • [STRIKE]pop to the shops to buy mould remover[/STRIKE] I didn't actually need to buy any because I found some!
    • [STRIKE]instruct Dad on mould removal/washing machine removal :rotfl:[/STRIKE]
    • empty out the fridge of old food
    • [STRIKE]finally manage to wash my hair[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]complete flying tasks [/STRIKE]
    • phone bank to check switch is going ahead
    • [STRIKE]start a menu plan [/STRIKE]
    • adjust budgets for rest of the month
    • [STRIKE]toy rotation[/STRIKE]
    • remind DH to phone o2 and cancel his contract
    • arrange collection of car

Blimey. Seems a lot written down. I guess some will roll-over to tomorrow fairly comfortably. Happy Monday!
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hello and good luck with your plan! I wanted to say about Petplan as you say you have an elderly animal please check the excess as we discovered with our dog now she is 8 it has gone up so it is now £95 PLUS 20% , I am therefore looking to change to Direct Line its not much saving on the monthly payments but at least they will only ask for £95 excess until she is 12 years old, we just had to have a lump removed from her face and it cost us a lot more than £95 excess!

Also the sim deals what broadband are you with as you can usually get a better deal with them i am with BT and i just swapped to a sim only deal with them for £9 month but you can get £5 depending on what data you need plus i got a £55 amazon or itunes gift card

Have you ever switched bank accounts? there are still some good deals on offer to do that
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • Pauper1
    MeenaM thank you. I will double check the excess. I don't know much about Direct Line, but I know that PetPlan are thought of quite highly by vets (as in, they rarely quibble about whether the treatment needed doing or how much they think it should've cost). We've had issues with other insurers refusing to pay some or all in the past.

We've switched to PlusNet now, we are with Sky for broadband but I don't plan to stay with them when our contract is up. We are currently switching banks to B, with their £250 bonus deal.
  • Pauper1
    That's as far as I'll get with my to do list today as Kiddo has taken a turn for the worse and is very meltdowny... Time for a sofa cuddle I think. Days like this when I wish we could just order a pizza.
  • Hi pauper1, wanted to say good luck with it.

I am a lapsed flylady, just don't have the time these days. We have an ongoing mould problem in our house, and find the bleach based mould sprays are best. The own brand Lidl one wasn't much use but the branded one (dettol maybe?) was. Not sure you should be using them pregnant though. I did the spray, leave and wipe thing. Really deep stains had to be painted over with mould repelling paint but it sorted it for a few years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback