Starting over...

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've used this website and forum, largely because I've been living abroad for a few years and BOY have I missed it! For the record, there's nothing remotely like MSE in Ireland and if I was much cleverer I would have loved to have started something similar.

The reason I'm rejoining the MSE clan is because in 12 weeks time (82 days to be exact) I'm moving back to Devon :j:j:j And while I'm really excited, I'm also extremely nervous to be starting over. I run a successful business here in Ireland that I'm hoping to bring over (but realistically it'll take at least 12 months to get to the same level - I'm a wedding singer if anyone needs one :rotfl:), and the thought of being a 30-something who is going back to live with her mother is nauseating...

Financially I have no savings and £1700 on a credit card - I've put all my money into my business, so the plan is to save as much money as I possibly can before I move. I have a lot of work coming up but my day job is also self-employed so budgeting can be difficult while I wait for invoices to be paid.

I work mostly in the afternoons and evenings so I'm on the hunt for a temp morning or night time job for the next few months, but I'm also looking online for ways to earn a bit extra. I still have my UK bank account so I'm looking at doing the gambling websites using Top Cashback (I hate gambling so stopping after the minimum bet to get the cash back won't be an issue), and I write a bit in my spare time so I might try some of the task-based websites too.

Well, I think that's it for now. Wish me luck!
2019 Aim: Save £10,000
Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now

Comments

• Best of luck ladymay! :)
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi lady may wishing you luck on your journey. There's a diary on here Iv forgotten her name but the title has something to do with £60,000 debt. I found her diary very inspirational but she would be perfect for you as she runs her own buisness and had the same issue with waiting for invoices to be paid so she started to give herself a wage. Highly recommend seeking that diary out for yourself.

Good luck x
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Me again... i just found the thread, it's done by a lady called treadingonaymobil and it's called something like £67,000 is a frightening number x
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for the good wishes and the recommendation, I'll check that one out :)

Stuck under Storm Ophelia today, we've had no power for several hours and we're not meant to leave the house so in addition to losing my gig today I have a touch of cabin fever... I want a cup of tea SO BADLY right now!!

On the upside it's an enforced NSD...
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ladymay
    LadyP01, I found the diary you suggested. I haven't had chance to read it yet because of the power cut yesterday but I will - thanks for the heads up!

So yesterday was a barrel of laughs... :o stuck indoors, cancelled gig, no power, no tea, and because I'm in a temporary living situation I have one book with me that I finished quick sharp! If it wasn't so dangerous I'd have loved to have gone to the coast to see the moodiness of it all...

Anyway, today is another day and my to-do list is very dull:

- email a hotel manager to confirm a gig
    - look at TopCashback - I wonder whether I have to be a UK resident to qualify?
    - clean costume jewellery
    - washing
    - clean make up brushes
    - clean bedroom
    - clean bathroom
    - throw out my hoarde of batteries
    - Sort out all the carp and work gear in my car
    - put together set list for wedding on Saturday
    - put together set list for gig tomorrow
    - reply to emails
    - try not to let Netflix scupper my to-do list :rotfl:

It should be a personal NSD but I have to fill up the car. Just waiting on a few cheques to clear tomorrow and then I can hopefully put a bit of money in my savings to go towards rent next month.

79 days till I move back home!
  • ladymay
    - [STRIKE]email a hotel manager to confirm a gig[/STRIKE]
    - look at TopCashback - I wonder whether I have to be a UK resident to qualify?
    - [STRIKE]washing[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]clean make up brushes[/STRIKE]
    - clean bedroom
    - clean bathroom
    - throw out my hoarde of batteries
    - Sort out all the carp and work gear in my car
    - put together set list for wedding on Saturday
    - [STRIKE]put together set list for gig tomorrow[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]reply to emails[/STRIKE]
    - try not to let Netflix scupper my to-do list :rotfl:

It's been a pretty rough day...

Just over three months ago, on our fourth anniversary, my ex proposed to me. 11 days later, he changed his mind, decided he didn't love me and that was that. I had to leave the house and we were done. He has a very well-paid job, and I gave up my own to move to Ireland and be with him. For the past two years I've felt secure enough to put all my money into the business instead of saving (with the idea being that I can save later). I have my own anxiety issues with money that I'm working on, but I'm so angry with him for not only leading me on and dumping me, but for pushing me off a cliff, leaving me to free fall financially, mentally and emotionally.

And today I found out his sister had a baby. I knew before my ex - his sister was my best friend over here before the break up - with the exception of their mum I knew before anyone that she was pregnant. I minded her daughter, my ex's niece, so she could go to work. I really felt a part of her family. And I don't know how to explain it other than I just feel so sad: about not being part of that fold anymore, and about the fact that that won't happen to me for years now.

And the whole#metoo thing is bringing up some bad memories...

I know this is nothing to do with DFW or anything, it's just easier to put all this down when you're anonymous.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm so sorry to read this, how awful of him to go as far as to propose to you just 11 days before he was going to call everything off. I've had lots of awful experiences when it comes to the world of dating and I'm currently feeling like I just want to be single forever (so not me). You can post anything in your diary, we all have bad days and feel safe to vent to the wonderful anonymous people here.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • ladymay
    Thanks DFD :) just one of those weeks where everything's getting on top of me...

I'm being good to myself and giving up on today, Netflix is on and I'm going to try and get a good night's sleep - minus the nightmares ;)

List for tomorrow:

- gig
    - figure out if I can claim on Top Cashback while non-resident
    - throw out old batteries (I feel this requires an explanation - I use a cordless mic for a lot of my gigs, so I get through a lot of batteries!)
    - put together set list for Saturday
    - learn new song
    - clean bedroom
    - clean bathroom
    - book car hire for UK trip next month (hopefully I'll find a discount code!)
    - research Fiverr - is it worth signing up for?
    - look at other income stream
    - clean out car
    - put filthy, filthy car through car wash!

It's going to be a fairly spendy day, but four cheques clear tomorrow which will more than cover everything, I filled the car today which will last me at least a week, and with the exception of going to a friend's on Friday for wine and ice-cream I shouldn't have any more outgoings except milk...

I'm going to bed in a better place than where I woke up :)
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes always be kind to yourself when you need to be. Top cashback states 'Sorry but TopCashback is for UK residents only, who are registered and living in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Please DO NOT join if you are not a UK resident (even if you use a UK proxy server) as payment WILL NOT be issued.'

I hope this helps cross one off your list, I'm not sure if it works where you have to cash out thought so potentially you could cash out once you do have a registered address here?

Batteries - could you buy rechargeable? You can get these quite cheap, I'm sure I bought a charger and 4 batteries for around £15 and they were a good brand and better for the environment.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport