Low deposit holiday myth?

My student daughter and her boyfriend booked a holiday paying a low deposit. She was given the date by which the holiday needed to be paid in full. They've now split up and neither wants the holiday. When she tried to cancel, she was told that they had paid a low deposit and if they want to cancel they will have to pay another £300. The invoice from the company only mentions the full balance being due.
How can the company get away with this? If they are offering low deposit holidays, then the deposit should be low. There has never been any mention of any requirement to pay an additional deposit until now. Anyone know of the legal position?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Somewhere in the T&Cs (probably very deep) will state how much money has to be paid (i.e. a certain %) depending on when the holiday is cancelled.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Absolutely legal. A deposit is a deposit on the holiday. They now have broken a contract as they don't want theholiday so cancellation charges now come into it which are more than the deposit.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,245
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why doesn't she just go with a friend?
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Somewhere in the T&Cs (probably very deep) will state how much money has to be paid (i.e. a certain %) depending on when the holiday is cancelled.

Usually not very deep at all, and under the header "Cancellation".

OP who was the booking made with?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Oakdene wrote: »

Probably not even that deep and not hidden. So many people don't read the terms and conditions and just tick a box to say that they have.

It is very likely that the full deposit amount is due and needs to be topped up from the 'low deposit' paid.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,469
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The deposit was low. The rest of the deposit would have been paid a few weeks later or included in the final balance.

By not proceeding they have breached the contract and need to pay the remainder of the deposit, which was deferred until the final payment date. This is in the T&Cs.

Thomson as an example:

"If you book using the low deposit scheme and then cancel your holiday, the remaining deposit balance will be due on cancellation."
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,581
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Tuesday wrote: »
    There has never been any mention of any requirement to pay an additional deposit until now. Anyone know of the legal position?

I'd be very surprised if there really was no mention of the balance of the deposit having to be paid by X date.
    More likely that your daughter and/or her ex missed it.
    I've paid a low deposit many times and it's always been made very clear that the balance of the deposit will need to be paid in the event of cancellation.

It's no myth.
  • It's standard when a tour op or agent offers a low deposit on a package holiday. None of them hide the fact that the balance of the deposit has to be paid in the event of the customer deciding to cancel. Your daughter and the ex probably just didn't see/read it.
  • Tuesday
    Tuesday Posts: 54
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Except there's no mention of this being a low deposit. Nor of any suggestion that a higher deposit needs to be paid. The T&Cs state:

If you booked using a Low Deposit Offer, the full deposit amount stated on your confirmation invoice will need to be paid upon cancellation.

I've copied all the references to cost below:

FINANCIAL DETAILS
    Price Breakdown
    Payment Plan
    Adult Price £1,514.00
    Total Price £1,141.24
    On-Line Discount -£122.76
    Discount -£150.00
    Payment £100.00
    Promotional Offer -£100.00
    Total Price £1,141.24
    Amount Paid to Date £100.00
    Total price includes Flight and Accommodation costs, all discounts, applicable taxes and charges
    Balance Outstanding £1,041.24
    The next payment is due 16 March 2017
    The final payment will be due by 16 March 2017

So how is she to know that this was a low deposit booking? Can anyone see where the 'real' deposit is stated as I can't?
    Of course, a deposit a deposit but she has not contracted to pay a £400 deposit and I've gone through all 3 of the emails she's received and none of them say anything different to the confirmation email. I say that it is misleading to ask for a £100 deposit and then to ask for another £300 on cancellation.
  • What was the company she booked through?

You have copied the details from a conformation. When you book a holiday or service they will provide terms and conditions to which you must agree. This is stated outright. If you can give the company name I am sure we can demonstrate this for you. In the event that they are not available and you have a loophole to cancel - i am sure someone will find that (although it is unlikely).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure