Joint accounts and linked names question

Options
Person A and person B have a joint account and person B is removed from the account.

Person A then get a joint account with person C.

If a notice of disassociation hasn't gone through and person B then gets into debt or has any other serious money issues, is person C linked to person B on their credit file?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. .
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In this scenario person A is getting dragged into the mire by person B, so person A has a crap credit rating as a result. Person C is linked to someone with a crap credit rating - person A - so he, person C, has a crap rating as well ..... Next thing someone will be telling us it doesn't work like that. Maybe the Experian rep could come back and explain this?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sparky0138 and Tenchy.

ZX81 is correct, if the person you are financially linked to shares a link with another individual this persons information would not be seen when a company performs a credit check on you.

So in the example, when person C has a credit check performed on him the lender would see information for person A but not person B.

If you no longer have a financial connection to another individual you can request a financial disassociation to remove the association. More information on this here. http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/RC2.html#q518

Kind regards Neil.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • sparky0138
    Options
    Hi Sparky0138 and Tenchy.

ZX81 is correct, if the person you are financially linked to shares a link with another individual this persons information would not be seen when a company performs a credit check on you.

So in the example, when person C has a credit check performed on him the lender would see information for person A but not person B.

If you no longer have a financial connection to another individual you can request a financial disassociation to remove the association. More information on this here. http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/RC2.html#q518

Kind regards Neil.

Thanks for the replies. However, this answer seems a bit contradictory to me. I understand that a credit check performed on Person C wouldn't show any information on Person B but as tenchy points out, if Person A gets a crap credit rating because of Person B, surely Person C then suffers because they are linked to Person A?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sparky0138 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. However, this answer seems a bit contradictory to me. I understand that a credit check performed on Person C wouldn't show any information on Person B but as tenchy points out, if Person A gets a crap credit rating because of Person B, surely Person C then suffers because they are linked to Person A?

Hi Sparky0138, the information on Person A's credit report would not be changed by Person B. If Person A applies for credit and the company then check Person A's report and Person B's they may then decline due to the negative information on Person B's report.

This wouldn't mean that Person A's information taken on it's own is now considered worse.

So it person C applies the company may look at person A and person C but they would not look at person B

Hope that makes sense!
    Kind regards Neil.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sparky0138 wrote: »
    as tenchy points out, if Person A gets a crap credit rating because of Person B, surely Person C then suffers because they are linked to Person A?

The error in that theory is thinking that people have credit ratings. They don't, so there is no poor credit rating that could be created.

Lenders will only look at the data, and the data will not include anyone you are not linked to.
  • sparky0138
    Options
    Thank you! All clear now. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills