Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    JB162 wrote: »
    Guys just to let you know, there is no guarantee at present that you will get a call back from Customer Relations (Retentions) if you put your 30 days notice on your account.

The reason for this, is because the inbound lines are busy and with the job cuts that are going on, outbound activity is taking a back seat at present.

Plus from the 1st October there is a lot more structure to the deals you get offered, meaning it's based on individual accounts. Meaning agents have lost more flexibility on what they can offer you. As they have to go with the deals on individual accounts, rather than what deals are running in general.

Liberty Global (people who own VM) are on a massive cost cutting drive, so please be nice to the agents, it's not there fault. People are losing there jobs!

Hence it is VM themselves who are to blame for not wanting or trying to keep customers compared to their rivals. Eventually they will be hit in their profit margins and hopefully be more competitive
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have 100mb m+tv caller id evening and weekend phone.£27-40 that includes line rental.Rang about the increase told them to cancel my account,She said yours is only going up by £2-50 then offered me a £3 a month discount till the end of my contract next year.So finished up 50p cheaper that it was before.
  • JB162
    JB162 Posts: 47 Forumite
    I've read a lot with regards the £3 off for 6 months offer.

This is the offer that Virgin put in place each and every time they do a price increase, however it's not available to all and more than likely, in fact 95% of the time will enter you into a new 12 months contract.

So be aware when accepting this.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    JB162 wrote: »
    I've read a lot with regards the £3 off for 6 months offer.

This is the offer that Virgin put in place each and every time they do a price increase, however it's not available to all and more than likely, in fact 95% of the time will enter you into a new 12 months contract.

So be aware when accepting this.

The £3 off i got does not mean a new contract.I made sure it didn't and recorded the conversation as i always do with Virgin.
  • JB162
    No worries Den169!

But be careful, even though you call record it will not stand up in court or anywhere, as you do not have the agents permission to record them.

Virgins policy is if you ask for permission the agent is to refuse and end the call or for you to end the recording.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Phoned them today as I'm sick of paying so much. Was on about £85 per month with 2 boxes and a big TV package, but Sky quoted £45 per month for a very similar deal.

Decided to drop sports altogether and the advisor said to change the phone plan as we hardly use it. Internet stays high speed. They said if we take up another 12 month contract then they'll throw in 6 months of Netflix for free, (we currently pay £8 per month).

New monthly payment £53, plus 6 x £8 of Netfilx and a new Tivo box on the way. I'm happy with that.
    Pants
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi there. I called Virgin Media and went through the "thinking of leaving us" options. In the past I have spoken to staff based abroad within this option but spoke to someone based in the UK this time. Their offer was decent but wasn't great - a 1tb Tivo box (which I asked for as our 500gb one is now 5 years old) and matching our existing package (which also has sports and movies) for £8/month less with a one off £20 discount.

Would I be right in saying that this person was not a retentions person though, and that I'd need to call back and say I still wish to cancel and this would trigger a call back by someone in retentions at a later date as has happened in the past?
  • JB162
    Hi The Boss

No you have spoken to Customer Relations (Retensions). You don't need to call back.

Customer Relations have a option on the IVR to speak to them directly. You don't always need to be transferred to them.

Its option 4 then option 5 on the IVR to speak to Customer Relations.

Also you got a closer credit of £20, and it's only them who has access to this.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Boss - Regardless of who you may have spoken to - I've always found that the best deals are only offered once you have put in your cancellation.

That said if you package is going down by £8 with a bill credit and new Tivo box it doesn't sound like you've done too badly unless you were paying way over the odds in the first place :)
  • rixxin
    rixxin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hey all,

Success!

Retentions call back within a week after giving 30 days notice.

Deal was a bill cut from £75 to £49, with an upgrade from 150 MB to 200 MB, and free calls on the landline (which I don't use). I pushed for the new TiVo, but was told it's not available, and he wouldn't commit to securing me one when it is released.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback