Asset link capital - very old visa card - advice please?

Hi there, i an not sure if this post is in the correct category so please accept my apologies if it should be somewhere else.

We had a smile visa card many many years ago which was paid off.

Today we have received a letter from The Co-operative bank informing us that 'your smile visa account has been sold to Asset Link Capital (No 5) Limited', along with a letter from asset link confirming that our account has been sold to them and state that the sale balance is £175.31 and to make payments to them in future.

We paid this off many years ago - there was no outstanding balance.

There is no contact number for The Co-operative for us to speak to them, just asset links contact number.

Does anyone know what we do now, other than contact asset link directly and tell them we dont owe any money!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Comments

• Sorry for the omission, letter states asset link capital have appointed Link Financial Outsourcing Limited.

Also please note there is no demand for payment, just states all future payments need to be made to them.

Really concerned about this - do we wait until a demand for payment is made and then dispute it? Is it possible that there has been a mistake made?

Many thanks
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    How many years ago did you pay this off?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi wrote: »
    How many years ago did you pay this off?

Around 5 years ago, maybe even longer.
  • fermi
    Forumite
    edited 19 December 2014 at 2:15PM
    Have a think how long then and see if you have any paperwork.

There is a basic "prove I owe you" letter here if they start making demands

--> Letter when you know nothing about about the debt - AKA "Prove it" letter

but if it is over 6 years anyway since you would have last acknowledged or paid anything on the account, you could supplement that letter with a statement to say anything from that time would be statue barred to produce a letter somewhat like

--> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=34906257&postcount=5
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Thank you so so much for your advice.

I will search for any paperwork for this because i know we paid this off.

Thanks once again and merry christmas.
  • fermi
    Forumite
    Have a good Xmas and don't worry about this. :)

If push comes to shove the onus is on them to prove something is owed, not for you to prove it isn't. ;)

• Sorry to jump in but,

We have received the very same letter, ours is showing over 3k.
    I thought it was a scam as the last time I delt with the coop was over 5-7 years ago via the cccs.
    I am unsure if it was completely paid off but since then they have not contacted us, nothing until today via letter.
    nothing appears on my credit file.
  • cracker666 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in but,

We have received the very same letter, ours is showing over 3k.
    I thought it was a scam as the last time I delt with the coop was over 5-7 years ago via the cccs.
    I am unsure if it was completely paid off but since then they have not contacted us, nothing until today via letter.
    nothing appears on my credit file.

Exactly the same apart from the amount. Nothing showing on credit files, its got to be way over 5 years since this was paid off. We have not received any call or letter until this one letter received yesterday morning.

What are you going to do?
  • I rang the cccs but as it was so old our details are archived.
    he did mention though statue debt where if they hav'nt been in contact or payments havnt been made in 6 years it would be classed as statued debt.

From what ive read they will try to convince you that it is still enforceable.

upon reading the coop letter, only the account number has been sold, and it is not an escalation of action against us, it is a strategic decision by the bank in relation to how it manages accounts in arrears.

this letter didnt mention amount, only the asset link did.

ive been advised the following:

1st, sort out a letter to the coop asking for further information on this, DONOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE DEBT, sent recorded and keep a copy.
    2nd if this fails you then go fsa.

im reading up on everything inc statued debt, etc.

time to go in the loft and get my paperwork down.

one things for sure it has had a negative effect on xmas, as I was sure this was sorted out.
  • But the bottom line is im now unsure if this was sorted, but why wouldn't they contact us sooner if it wasnt sorted out.
    Nearly £4k id be chasing if I was owed it.

They could be firing a warning shot in the hope we call and scknowledge the debt, once that happens then the procedure for recovery starts.
    if no acknowledgement has been received or it is queried this im unsure about.
    under 6 years the its not statued and can be recovered, over then not.

I dont know im tired, didnt have much sleep, trying to work this out and reading up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure