Spill the beans... Trade secrets: supermarket staff, tell us your reduction policies!

Comments

• deep_in
    deep_in Posts: 247 Forumite
    I know its a smaller store but wilkinsons are good for getting cheap bread, ready cut fruit, milk and cheese I went in 10 minutes before closing and they had loads of bread at 5p a loaf, ready to eat pineapple packs at 5p and cheese on its last day of display at 20p so might be worth a look I was told about these by my friend who works there never even thought about getting staples from there before she said also always worth having a look at the reduction area as they have loads of stuff with 75% off its usually things that have been sent there by mistake or customer orders that they no longer want and damaged stock I got a pair of curtains for dd's room for 95p once and the perfect match for her room.
    water £82.00 Totally Paid June 2012, vanquis £290.00 Totally Paid July 2012, e.on £300.00 £189.00 Paid Sep 2012, Scott and co. £989 £918 Paid Oct 2012, s/p £400.00 £295 Dec 2012, o/d £2,000.00 Dec 2012, rent £1,600.00 Jan 2013, mum £1,500.00 £1,400.00 Feb 2013
    £6,402
    Second purse #64 £2.30/£220
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    rozmister wrote: »
    It is a real shame; especially when you see bags of perfectly good food going straight into the bin. When you think of all the hungry people in the world it seems very sad that in our country perfectly good food is wasted just to 'protect profit margins'.

In my own personal opinion it's better to sell things for a few pennies than waste it!

If I work on a late night with my store manager and there are reductions still left when the store closes - she insists we buy it, even though it could be food we don't eat or no room in the freezer! I'm not complaining about 10p every couple of weeks. I have parents and friends that will take anything off me. As the thing is if its not sold, the disposal in money terms is the full cost, not at the final reduction price. So the store rather receives 10p for a couple of fishcakes than lose £1.80 in wastage.
  • EccentricRavenJewellery
    EccentricRavenJewellery Posts: 53
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 June 2012 at 1:09PM
    I hit my local Co-op at about six on the evening, they have quite a lot reduced then. Once, I even got stopped by a very nice young lady who noticed I'd picked up a tray of pate, and told me there were some in the reduced section for 10p each, and to have as many as I needed!
    The nicer you are to the staff in general, I find, the better.
    I know a few of the checkout girls and the security guard reasonably well, having started a few months ago with just polite 'hello's.
    This now means I often get a 'do you like..... we're just putting some out now in the reduced rack'.

I actually find the Co-op to be more generous with the reductions than our local Tesco, who tend to only take off the tiniest amount, then throw whatever it is.
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    My parents live in a village with a Co-op, which is generally very expensive - £1.08 for a tin of Ambrosia tinned rice!

My mum goes about twice a week and picks up bargains like reduced bread, runner beans, salmon etc. She often comes back with 2 carrier bags full for about a fiver!
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    4_Pete's_Sake Posts: 309
    Newshound! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    All the fruit and veg at our local Tesco that has to be sold by that day is marked down by 90% at about 7.45pm every evening. I regularly get £30 worth of items for £3.00. Happy Days :j
    IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS :j
  • ecomumm
    ecomumm Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2012 at 7:09PM
    The co-op is my favourite. There are a few local shops in my area and I always pop in when I am trailing around taking the kids to and from clubs etc. Some are better than others but my freezer is always full of their lovely fresh bread and rolls at 20p ish a go.
    Ecomumm :wave:
  • rogerbarton
    rogerbarton Posts: 58 Forumite
    I've had a few good deals in Sainsbury's, mostly from the bakery, before closing time. I think it's a popular branch (in Nottingham) so it's rare that there's any decent fresh products in the reduced section.

The best deals I've had are in Waitrose - there's a Little Waitrose in town that often has various brilliant deals. I've had mince reduced from £4 to 99p (I got about five of them) and crumpets down to about 5p.

Another place i've noticed they have some absurd reductions is Aldi - there's almost always meat down to 30% off marked price and fruit down to 30 or 50% off. I suppose that with the smaller stores it can be a gamble as to how much they stock of everything. Recently they had chicken 400g on a deal at £1.99 that was marked down to £1. Not bad at all!
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Heads up folks, hubby came back from sainbugs tonight with a whole pack of colgate toothpaste (12 pack) which he got for £3 - 25p each tube.
    It even says on the shelf 25p but customers haven't noticed.
    xx
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    p.s. I hate colgate - haha
    heyho
    xx
  • I work for Sainsburys and they DO NOT reduce before 1pm in all stores.
    It's company policy,however on public holidays or if the trading hours are shorter (Sundays) this is bought forward to as early as 9am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure