information and user help for Hitachi Air to Air Heat Pump

We had a Hitachi Air to Air Heat Pump System installed in January 2013. Three indoor units and one outdoor unit. After a few teething problems, we were happy with the system and have saved money on electricity bills since. After having the machines switched off this summer I can't get them to work now. I have installed new batteries in the three handsets, reset them and set the time. When switching each machine on a red light flashes which the handbook states is the timer light. I have read the small manual over and over and tried everything I can think of. Three weeks ago I contacted the company who installed the system and after trying a few suggestions from a staff member, I was advised to send photographs of the handsets. I was emailed a thank you for sending them but have had no other reply. I emailed yesterday and up to now I haven't received a reply. My machines are Hitachi Model RAK-25QH8(W). I wondered if anyone else has had a problem with these units. We paid £9500.00 for this system.

Comments

• Tiexen
    Tiexen Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I can't answer why it doesn't work but why didn't you use it as air conditioning during the summer?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • We live in Aberdeenshire. Air conditioning not required here.
  • I have three copies of this book, one for each unit. I've read it all cover to cover many times.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    Blinking Timer Lamp indicates that the Unit has detected a fault. This might be on that indoor unit or the outdoor unit.

That will almost certainly need a service technician call out to rectify?

But first do a mains power off of the system (outdoor unit main isolator) and wait for 10 minutes or so, then re-power in the hopes a mains reset will fix.

See http://www.klima.hu/documents/Haszn%C3%A1latik/Hitachi/aw0080erak-18-50ppb-wpb.pdf around p106 on... BUT that may well not be your precise model service handbook, so is just a guide.
  • Jeanbuchan
    Jeanbuchan Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 3:12PM
    Thank you for taking the time to find out this information for us. We already tried switching off the power but I'm not at all sure which switch is the outdoor unit main insulator. We'll have another go and see if that works. I've been on the phone again to the installing company, but they are obviously reluctant to send an engineer all the way up here, in fact it hasn't even been mentioned. They don't appear to sell these heaters now. She's going to have a word with someone else but I'm not very confident. It's 3 weeks since I first spoke to them and I didn't get a reply to the emails I sent this week. I wonder if a local electrician would be able to help, but these units are supposed to be guaranteed for ten years. I'm beginning to think installing this was not one of my better ideas. It seems likely that the outdoor unit is at fault as all three of the indoor units show the blinking red light.
  • Rodders53
    You need a refrigeration/air conditioning / heat pump Company to visit and service the system... One with Hitachi experience.

Google found me this one http://www.aberdeenairconditioning.co.uk/air-conditioning-equipment but do your own due diligence, and check out trusted trader type info from your local Trading Standards?

These heatpumps do need a modicum of regular servicing, if only to check and top up - if needed - the refrigerant in the system.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    I agree with Rodders53 comment above. It does sound like it could be a problem with the refrigerant.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • Jeanbuchan
    Jeanbuchan Posts: 14 Forumite
    We live in northern Scotland and have no need for air conditioning.
  • Rodders53
    Jeanbuchan wrote: »
    We live in northern Scotland and have no need for air conditioning.
    But you have such a unit :eek: One that can either heat or cool the room spaces, by selecting the mode of operation.

I have one made by Fujitsu and we've used it both to heat and cool the two rooms it serves over the last few weeks of odd hot and cold weather. :j

Did you ever get the system fixed, last September so that you could get heat from them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure