PPI and Bank Charges - Please help!

Options
Hi

I am in a bit of a financial pickle atm and was on the phone to Barclaycard to set a payment plan relating to missing a payment. I noticed on the bottom of the statement was a £43 charge for Plan B Insurance Protection, for the month!

I rarely look at any of my statements and tend to just log in occasionally and have a DD setup to take out a minimum each month (bad I know).

I questioned the Insurance and asked what that was for and he said it was Insurance via PPI Dublin that I took out when i joined in August 2008!. Nearly 9 years! I asked about reclaiming and he gave me the number for PPI Dublin but after a little look around on online banking I saw a form to reclaim that way. I completed that and it said that I would get a letter in about 5 days

I am not sure if I have done this is the right way as ive heard that they will probably fob me off and refuse to pay. Plus I dont even know what ive paid over all these years as I think its a % based on my credit card balance

Any advice in how I can verify exactly what ive paid over the last 9 years. Can I also claim for charges on that credit card aswell as I have been over quite a bit in the past and always get charges added.

I have a similar situation with bank charges on my Bank of Scotland Bank account with numerous charges over the years relating to being in my overdraft, planned overdraft fees etc

Anyway of getting these back?. Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Either check through your statements or ask the bank.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jimmy2007 wrote: »
    I am not sure if I have done this is the right way as ive heard that they will probably fob me off and refuse to pay.
    Depends on how robust your complaint is. They don't have to refund, you are making a COMPLAINT not a claim.
    Can I also claim for charges on that credit card aswell as I have been over quite a bit in the past and always get charges added.

No
    I have a similar situation with bank charges on my Bank of Scotland Bank account with numerous charges over the years relating to being in my overdraft, planned overdraft fees etc
    Anyway of getting these back?.

Not unless you are in current financial hardship. The banks won a court case in 2009.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • jimmy2007
    jimmy2007 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    How robust does a complaint need to be?

They asked me on the form what is the reason for raising the complaint.

I simply put that I noticed an amount on my statement and that led me to asking the adviser what it was for and that I didnt have a clue what it was. I told the adviser that I wasnt working many hours and was up and down each week atm and they granted me 30 days freeze on costs etc.

Ive not been in full time employment since the end of May this year so surely if I know I was entitled to insurance due to loss of work etc then I would have claimed. Was made redundant aswell a few years ago from a regular full time job and didnt claim then as I simply wasnt aware I even had it!

The adviser even said I should call PPI Dublin and they would pay off my credit card (5k+) which I found strange as I was even arguing that how would it justify them paying my full balance and he said just call them. I think he was trying to advise not taking the Barclays claim route but I had already thought that was the best course of action due to the fact that Barclaycard are the ones who have debited the money off me each month
  • jimmy2007
    Options
    have done this online through the message centre now so will see if they actually do this
  • jimmy2007
    Options
    Im going to send through a SARS request to Barclays (Barclaycard) and have the address. They have stopped responding to my messages in the message centre on my account so was wondering who I should address the postal order to or should I asked for a blank one?

Any help appreciated
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    From the other thread;
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Cheque payable to Barclays Bank Plc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories