Do I have a right to access my electricity and gas meter?

Options
Hello,

I'm a tenant in a communal block of flats where all the gas and electricity meters are in cupboards in a communal area. I have not been given a key to this and was told by a neighbour that only two people have the keys to the cupboards, both who are leaseholders. Do I have a right to a key to the cupboards to be able to read my gas and electricity meters?

Thanks

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are responsible for paying the bill, yes.

It doesn't matter if you're a tenant or leaseholder, you're the lawful occupier.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Pmwo21
    Pmwo21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    As stated you have a right to access your meters, sometimes if the electricity meter is in an intake cupboard the landlord will insist under health and safety that you are accompanied by someone, but they should still give reasonable access.
    Gas meters are more serious, you legally need access to the emergency cut off valve to be able to shut off the gas, this will 99% of the time be right next to the meter.
  • C_Mababejive
    Options
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure