RBS Account Charges

I recently wrote to RBS regarding my account package I had with them some time ago it was a Royalties account. I originally opened a RSB account on 20th Sept 95 and on the 27th Sept 95 I was granted a mortgage. As it was such a long time ago I originally thought I had opened a Royalties Acc to get a mortgage and this is what I told the RBS when applying for my account charges back (£6.95 a month btw). After some investigation on their part they informed me that my account was upgraded after I got my mortgage some 10 months later 5th July 96 thus squashing any claim of having to get a Royalties Acc to get a mortgage. The thing is I don’t remember being asked or told that my normal free fee account was being upgraded to a Royalties Acc. Why would I upgrade from a free fee account to a Royalties account. I have never used any of the Royalties Acc benefits in all this time I had the account. As a token gesture tho they have said they would refund my acc charges from 2007 to 2011 as I told them I was in financial difficulty at that time.

What should I do except the money they are offering or fight on? Any advice would be most welcome.

Thx

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The thing is I don’t remember being asked or told that my normal free fee account was being upgraded to a Royalties Acc.

It was over 20 years ago. You are not expected to remember.
    Why would I upgrade from a free fee account to a Royalties account.

To get the package of benefits?
    I have never used any of the Royalties Acc benefits in all this time I had the account.

Use of the benefits is not necessarily an issue. Eligibility to use them is.
    As a token gesture tho they have said they would refund my acc charges from 2007 to 2011 as I told them I was in financial difficulty at that time.

What should I do except the money they are offering or fight on? Any advice would be most welcome.

You can reject their goodwill offer and refer it to the FOS. They can withdraw that offer if you do that. Although that does not happen often. The FOS can then look at your complaint and make an independent decision. The FOS only uphold around 1 in 10 packaged bank account complaints. It doesnt have a problem with packaged bank accounts in general.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure