PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Defrosting the freezer

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

No help for the defrosting this time, but when you have defrosted it -wipe the inside over with either glycerine (in the baking aisles) or neat fabric softener and then on to freeze up before re-filling it. Next time you have to defrost it you will be amazed how quickly any ice will come away -in sheets. I can empty my freezer, defrost it and have it switched back on in under 30 mins now ;)
    ohhhh an the smell of the fabric softener has never passed to anything in the freezer either -it seems to "freeze the smell in" :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably not the proper way, but I used my steam cleaner!!! 20 minute job including putting stuff back in. Before I had steam cleaner, I used wall paper stripper - freezer is still going strong after 30 years!!!!!!
  • clutterydrawer
    Options
    huh - there are chemicals for this?! I had no idea.

We just put in a washing up bowl of bowling water, top it up regularly, lay towels and newspapers everywhere to catch the flood ;)
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    We do it very OS !
    Use up all the freezer contents then unplug it and move outside and leave with the door open ,then wash it and fetch it back in :)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    huh - there are chemicals for this?! I had no idea.
    Nor me!

When I had 2 small freezers instead of the enormous one I have now I used to drag them into the garden to defrost. It didn't speed it up particularly but it avoided floods;)
  • Nikkifran
    Nikkifran Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Quick update - okay, I defrosted the whole flippin' thing last night. It took 6 and a half hours - even with all the tips on here.....grrrrr. Still at least it's done now. Thanks for all the advice guys, xx
    Virgin CC -[strike]£2383.41[/strike]£2796.91, HSBC CC - NIL OD - £550 and ALWAYS up to limit. :naughty:
    Pay a bill a day (£10 extra saved for monthly bill)
  • GreenMeanie
    Options
    We defrost our freezer, after emptying, by dragging it outside, tipping slightly forward with door open and blasting it with the hose pipe. It takes about 10mins.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Nikkifran,

I'm glad you got your freezer sorted out. I've added your thread to the main thread on defrosting freezers to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2009 at 8:18AM
    Options
    I really need to defrost the freezer. I've been running it down, but there are some odds and sods in there (and more food coming later today). What I'd like to do is turn the odds and sods into some home-made meals, and then once the freezer is clean and tidy, stash them back in there. We could certainly do with some easy meals for the next couple of weeks. But I'm not sure what to do with all of it. Here are the items:

1 lamb steak [thinking of a tagine with chickpeas and apricots? it only needs to serve 2]
    3 tuna steaks
    2 trout fillets
    4 chicken thighs [thinking of hugh f-w's baked chicken curry for these]
    6 sausages [pasta sauce with half? a sausage casserole with the others?]
    1 piece of what looks like fillet steak!
    a pack of bacon
    frozen broad beans
    frozen sweetcorn
    puff pastry

There are somethings I definitely can't use in cooking such as fish fingers, but they will make a nice lunch today with some brioche fingers I've got.

I keep a pretty good storecupboard, with plenty of tinned beans and tomatoes, bread making stuff, and will get cream, potatoes, cheese,etc with the shopping being delivered this morning. Other things I have floating around and need using include:

3 slightly old beetroot [add this to the beef and turn into borsch?]
    1 aubergine [perhaps this should be done with the lamb somehow?]
    a whole spaghetti squash
    celery
    1 chicken breast that MUST be eaten today as I opened the packet on Thursday [hmm ... something combining it with the thighs?]
    feta
    ricotta
    peppers
    a lot of eggs

I don't want to alter the plan for tea tonight - a beef suet pudding, mash & carrots] but nothing else is set in stone.

As you can see, I have some ideas, but will be delighted for some more inspiration. I can get a few bits and pieces if it will end up with a better set of meals. Things that serve 1 or 2 are possible, especially as only three of us four eat meat, although we all eat fish. Nothing has started to defrost yet, but I want to get on with it, I only have the weekend, so may use the oven on defrost to speed some of them up.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • GarryJ68
    GarryJ68 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    lol - get the family round for an emergency banquet - eat all the food and have an unplanned celebration.....
    The whole world is a circus - don't be the clown!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure