PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• crafty_carrot
    Options
    Hallo,

asking for help from anyone with a Tefal jam maker!

Ive made 2 lots of jam (strawberry and a rhubarb), both lots have burnt. The rhubarb after only 20 mins of the 40 mins cooking time was so badly burned it had to be thrown out! The pan had a thick black burnt ring on the bottom.
    The strawberry only made 2 jars as I could only use the top layer of the jam.

has anyone had any experience with this issue? Im going to ring Tefal Monday, but if would appreciate any advice from jam makers,

with thanks,
    crafty carrot
  • richcook
    richcook Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    interesting thread
    last week took last seasons blackcurrants out of vodka to prepare for drinking. thought i'd try making jam instead of discarding and the jam turned out really well, are there any other fruits l can do the same with
    Regards

Mark
  • Jacksmummy
    Jacksmummy Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    Blackcurrant & Rhubarb jam, has anyone tried this?

I have found a recipe for this jam in one of my old kitchen books (1866) and I'll give it a try sometime this year but I just wondered if anyone had made it and might have some tips :)

Never tried Rhubarb & Blackcurrant but I do make Rhubarb & Raspberry... its one of our favourites, I will have to give the blackcurrant & rhubarb a go.
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Rhubarb and apricot is lovely too and I'm just about to make some Bluebarb today (blueberry and rhubarb) from an american recipe book.

Crafty carrot does the jam maker stir it much as this sounds like the problem either not enough stirring or the temperature in the base is possibly too high?? Would be worth checking amazon reviews (if they sell it) as sometimes people leave hints and tips on there when they have a problem with a product,hope you get it sorted.

Rich I bet damsons would work well *hic* :D
  • charlies-aunt
    charlies-aunt Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    Blackcurrant & Rhubarb jam, has anyone tried this? :)

I've made Rhubarb and Redcurrant Jelly this year - it was a b*gger to get it to set though...not tried it yet although it looks wonderfully ruby red in the jars - hoping to use it as a glaze for pork as well as a topping on toast :)

First attempt at gooseberry and ginger jam this year - it was a success :) doesn't taste anything like either gooseberries or ginger but very delicious nevertheless :)

Missed out on the elderflowers but now watching the bushes like a hawk for the elderberries! Need to make another batch of elderberry and clove cordial ready to combat winter colds :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I've been given two marrows,so am going to make marrow and ginger jam.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I still have an assortment of last year's foraged fruit in the freezer and, before I start picking and stocking up again, I am going to use it to make Muddled Berry Jam. I read an article on this a while back and it seems a good idea if you have smallish quantities of a variety of fruits to use up.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Owl
    Owl Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Hello lovely fellow preservers...
    Just made a batch of Pam the Jams Bramley Lemon Curd, and it wouldn't thicken... Where did I go wrong? I ended up using cornflour (as per some American recipes) but I'd rather not do this in future...
    Owl x
    Children are born with wings .... Teachers help them to fly
    One day your life is going to flash in front of your eyes.... Make sure it's worth watching!!!!!
  • Nocturnes
    Nocturnes Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Found a path lined with different varietys of small plum trees laden with fruit, seems like an amazing and early season. An old man was also picking and told us he thought they were planted in the 1800s "for the peasants"! Not sure how true that is (would the trees still be fruiting at that age?!). Anyway we were Happy Peasants.

Picked 10 kilos with OH yesterday and last night made a delicious clafoutis, froze as many as I could get in the freezer and today am going to make the Tamarind Plum chutney which has a link on this page.
    http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/cottage-smallholder-plum-chutney-recipe-70/
    The plums are very small and too fiddly to cut and stone, took ages to do just a kilo for the clafoutis, so am simmering in a little vinegar and will remove the stones after an initial cooling (tip from above link) before making the chutney.

PS Sorry Owl, I am a beginner so can't help you, maybe someone else can.
    "The things you take for granted somebody else is praying for." - Morgan Freeman
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Picked a couple of pounds of blackberries this morning which I've made into seedless blackberry jam. It's just setting in the jam jars now but I've had a little taste and it's lush!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback