Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• Hi,
    I'm in desperate need of advice. I'm a single mum surving on IS, CT, CB, DLA. I've been on a DMP for approximately a year with CCCS. In February of this year when I had my review, my figures were adjusted, which then left me with a repayment figure of £100 a month. I've had to cancel this months payment as it is just untenable. I feel such a fool, because whilst the CCCS think I've been able to meet these payments I've got myself into further debt to meet the payments on time. What I have foolishly done is to take loans out with the Provident & now I have left myself nowhere to turn for help. I have tried to do a budget plan which I did without listing my debt payments to the prov & my DMP. When I take out my DLA, which I gather is the correct proceedure, I always end up with between £10- £30, of excess income. I've juggled figures to try & increase this ammount by cutting back in places, but just can't manage to cut certain areas, for example the mobile phone bills (still within contract) home phone/internet (still within contract) I have tried to reduce these, I've phoned both providers whom tell me I either have to buy out of the contract (impossible) or wait until they expire & readjust then. These both still have over 12mths to run! I just don't have any other areas where it's possible to make cut backs. It's all getting too much, it's having a detrimental affect on my health & what I'm finding most difficult is the fact I've no one to talk to about this. I cannot get help from my CAB as they are running on a restricted service & I feel too ashamed to admit my foolishness to the CCCS. Please help. :(
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!
  • Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi,
    I'm in desperate need of advice. I'm a single mum surving on IS, CT, CB, DLA. I've been on a DMP for approximately a year with CCCS. In February of this year when I had my review, my figures were adjusted, which then left me with a repayment figure of £100 a month. I've had to cancel this months payment as it is just untenable. I feel such a fool, because whilst the CCCS think I've been able to meet these payments I've got myself into further debt to meet the payments on time. What I have foolishly done is to take loans out with the Provident & now I have left myself nowhere to turn for help. I have tried to do a budget plan which I did without listing my debt payments to the prov & my DMP. When I take out my DLA, which I gather is the correct proceedure, I always end up with between £10- £30, of excess income. I've juggled figures to try & increase this ammount by cutting back in places, but just can't manage to cut certain areas, for example the mobile phone bills (still within contract) home phone/internet (still within contract) I have tried to reduce these, I've phoned both providers whom tell me I either have to buy out of the contract (impossible) or wait until they expire & readjust then. These both still have over 12mths to run! I just don't have any other areas where it's possible to make cut backs. It's all getting too much, it's having a detrimental affect on my health & what I'm finding most difficult is the fact I've no one to talk to about this. I cannot get help from my CAB as they are running on a restricted service & I feel too ashamed to admit my foolishness to the CCCS. Please help. :(

http://www.makesenseofcards.co.uk/soacalc.html

Click on that link and fill it out. Copy it back here.
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Orville wrote: »
    Can you really..? So out of curiosity do you know how much more you would pay under a dro compared to someone who isn't..?. I know you can't give out exact figures as each mortgage is different.

Another thing while i'm at it. Do you know if you can open a business bank account while under a DRO. I plan to go self employed at the end of june but plan to not make a profit till after the dro ends in september.

I dont know numbers, but before DRO's existed I used to do bankruptcy advice, and we were able to refer to brokers who have a relationship with whom i work for, and they often encouraged us to forward client's to them that required their services. Now in bankruptcy and DRO's that was rare, but in other options like repayment plans and IVA's they were often very useful for client's moving house or needing to remortgage.

With regards to the business bank account, I think it depends on the bank. There are no rules in the DRO as you are not borrowing, but I'm sure if you made it clear to who you apply that you do not intend to run up overdraft etc, it's worth a try?
  • Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    wba31 wrote: »
    I dont know numbers, but before DRO's existed I used to do bankruptcy advice, and we were able to refer to brokers who have a relationship with whom i work for, and they often encouraged us to forward client's to them that required their services. Now in bankruptcy and DRO's that was rare, but in other options like repayment plans and IVA's they were often very useful for client's moving house or needing to remortgage.

With regards to the business bank account, I think it depends on the bank. There are no rules in the DRO as you are not borrowing, but I'm sure if you made it clear to who you apply that you do not intend to run up overdraft etc, it's worth a try?

Thankyou for your comments, i will give my bank a try.
  • wba31
    Hi,

Ring CCCS and ask them about a DRO, if they seem unsure ask to speak to the DRO team who can look at your circumstances and let you know if the DRO is a viable option for you
  • scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    the cccs are not there to judge you (and they wont ) they are there to help you, they wont know you're in difficulty unless you tell them...i was ashamed of all my debts too and was really nervous about going to my local CAB, but thankfully i did as i am having my dro submitted next week, please dont suffer on your own, you need some good advice and you will feel much better when you have spoken to them...good luck xx
  • i went to my CAB office yesterday (i was scared, nervous and embarressed) to be told that they had decided to close for extra staff training. i politely said that i live 10 miles aways and could i just book a appointment for a another time as i was desparate for help.. the man replied with, no sorry we are closed you can wait outside a 90 minutes untill we open if you like!

it was a huge step for me to go inside and ask for help and to be told no sorry has just pushed me back into the deep dark whole im in.
  • wba31
    going_grey wrote: »
    i went to my CAB office yesterday (i was scared, nervous and embarressed) to be told that they had decided to close for extra staff training. i politely said that i live 10 miles aways and could i just book a appointment for a another time as i was desparate for help.. the man replied with, no sorry we are closed you can wait outside a 90 minutes untill we open if you like!

it was a huge step for me to go inside and ask for help and to be told no sorry has just pushed me back into the deep dark whole im in.

Don't give up! please ring NDL on 0808 808 4000 or CCCS on 0800 138 1111! that way you can get this sorted over the phone, from the comfort of your own home! i believe both these organisations have teams open longer than CAB, and they are just the other end of the phoneline!
  • scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    im sorry for how you feel you've been treated..my CAB office were the exact opposite, i made an appointment 2 wks ago, went for it last wednesday, they then made me an appointment for this week with a dro adviser which i went to on tuesday...she went through all my debts and income and everything..she then gave me my barcode and she will be submitting my dro next wednesday so please dont give up.
  • Hi Orville,
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 0
    Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 0
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 917
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 917
    Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 53
    Gas..................................... 54
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 36
    Telephone (land line)................... 40
    Mobile phone............................ 55
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 19
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 350
    Clothing................................ 20
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 61
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 20
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 19
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 10
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 15
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 20
    Holiday................................. 20
    Emergency fund.......................... 40
    (Unnamed monthly expense)............... 0
    dry cleaning............................ 10
    school books............................ 10
    Total monthly expenses.................. 879

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts
    Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Provident......................2255.2....144.......0
    Allied International...........1231.38...5.........0
    Moorcroft DR...................1025......5.........0
    Littlewoods Org................116.......5.........0
    HFC Bank.......................164.......5.........0
    JD Williams....................137.......5.........0
    Littlewoods Org................207.......5.........0
    JD Williams....................183.......5.........0
    Next...........................224.......5.........0
    JD Williams....................184.......5.........0
    Cabot financial................424.......5.........0
    Debt managers ltd..............502.......5.........0
    Bpo collections................594.62....5.........0
    Total unsecured debts..........7247.2....204.......-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 917
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 879
    Available for debt repayments........... 38
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 204
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -166
    Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -7,247.2
    Net Assets.............................. -7,247.2
    Created using the SOA calculator at Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using IE browser.

Any advice welcome. I'm in receipt of full HB & CTB. If groceries look high, it's because my son is on food supplements & I didn't know where to include them.
    I am a Leo...& as such I will defend my "pride" ferociously....you have been warned!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback