MOT Cost Cutting discussion

Options

Comments

• anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 June 2011 at 8:51PM
    Options
    The article mentions topping up brake fluid. Just wanted to highlight that topping up of brake fluid should not be necessary unless there is a failure which requires repair. The level will drop from max to min as the brake pads wear, and will once again rise when new pads are fitted. It is more important that it is replaced every couple of years - which is a job best left done to a garage unless you feel competent.

Also, low oil is not an MOT fail at all, but those who do not check the oil levels or have the misconception that an engine does not use oil may find themselves with a hefty repair bill should the oil fall dangerously low - which it may well do before the oil pressure warning lights comes up on the dash - as it is not an oil level sensor. The oil pressure warning light means no oil is being delivered to the top of your engine.

Topping up screenwash is a must though, if it happens to drop to empty when in the garage some will happily fill it up with their expensive stuff and bill you for it.

A visual check of the suspension is usually quite easy to do. Check for broken/excessively rusty spring plates, broken springs, and oily residue down the side of the shock absorber.
  • angel123456
    Options
    I used to work for Mr Clutch and they are an absolute rip off, if they cant find something wrong with your car they will make something up to get money out of you.
    The people that own the company are some of the worst con men Iv'e seen and I've been in the business for over forty years.
    Council test centres or some main agents are your best bet.
    Dont be fooled by garages offering pre mot testing, take the car for the test yourself then if need be take it to a reputable garage for any repairs.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to work for Mr Clutch and they are an absolute rip off, if they cant find something wrong with your car they will make something up to get money out of you.
    The people that own the company are some of the worst con men Iv'e seen and I've been in the business for over forty years.
    Council test centres or some main agents are your best bet.
    Dont be fooled by garages offering pre mot testing, take the car for the test yourself then if need be take it to a reputable garage for any repairs.

Perfectly happy with Mr Clutch in Derby.

Excepting the current 2011 MOT (done by National Tyres literally next door - I'll explain why shortly) they've done my last 3 MOTs

This is on what is now an 11 year-old Ford Mondeo estate that has done 165,000 miles
    It had already done 128,000 when I bought it in 2006.

Anyway Mr Clutch passed it on the 1st and 3rd occasions without any issues at all.
    It ONLY failed on the 2nd test due to a "cracked/perished brake hose" - which was quite obvious when pointed out to me.

I don't even remember Mr Clutch offering to do the repair job - something I actually did myself for under £10 - took the car back the following day and they issued a pass certificate :)

Every MOT was well less than HALF-PRICE :j

I seem to remember the 1st MOT cost me £18, the 2nd ONLY £16 and the 3rd went back up to £18.

I would have had my current MOT done there - just a few weeks ago (for £25) - BUT I was NOT confident that my car was going to pass FIRST TIME this time and whilst £25 was the cheapest around, BECAUSE they get little reward from the MOTs - EVEN FAILS that need repair work - they have introduced a RETEST FEE of £10 - (something I was sure I was going to happen - a RETEST that is)

Anyway, literally next door is National Tyres and their MOT was £27 with NO Retest Fee.

SO I took it there.

Sure enough - a Retest was needed - 2 broken rear coil springs, a tyre with a "hidden" cut in the inner wall and a stop light bulb (that I'd checked only the day before :( )

National Tyres showed me the faults - and offered to fix them - at a very reasonable price too ! In fact I was quite surprised at how cheap the quote was.

Having said that I knew I could do it myself for less than half the amount (materials only - no labour charge) so I did.

Took it back a few days later and Pass certificate issued.
    On this occasion a good dealing with National Tyres, Pentagon Derby.

However , JUST TO REITERATE - MR CLUTCH - 100% EXCELLENT SERVICE - CHEAPEST MOTs (New current Retest Fee excepted) around - NO FALSE FAULTS FOUND, INVENTED, CREATED or FRAUDULENT activity in my experience - or that of several of my relatives, friends and acquaintances that use the same depot.

Friendly helpful people as well :)

There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you might have just had an honest bloke working there-if someone has actually worked for them and knows the bosses so to speak you cant say theyre not telling the truth
    What goes around-comes around
  • angel123456
    Options
    Believe me there are a couple of guys that work for mr clutch that dont rip everyone off that walks through the door but thats not what they're trained to do and if the management found out heads would roll.
    On the other hand when they are busy (not including the 25/30% workshop overloading) they will cherry pick the work and cheap mot's will be knocked out quickly.
    They are up to far too many tricks to list here.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    My wife mislaid her old MOT Certificate and as she thought it was due on 1st October and we are going away, I booked her Vauxhall Corsa in at the local Kwikfit on 8th September.
    Now she has found the previous cert. and it was not due until 2nd NOVEMBER ! On a previous occasion previously a local garage advised that the MOT was not due but Kwikfit did not. We have now lost 2 months of MOT. There was nothing wrong with the car but they 'found' a piece missing from the driver's side wiper blade which is a cause of failure.
    Are they at fault and should they have told us it was not due for a test yet ? What can I do about it ? I have emailed KW to complain.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    My wife mislaid her old MOT Certificate and as she thought it was due on 1st October and we are going away, I booked her Vauxhall Corsa in at the local Kwikfit on 8th September.
    Now she has found the previous cert. and it was not due until 2nd NOVEMBER ! On a previous occasion previously a local garage advised that the MOT was not due but Kwikfit did not. We have now lost 2 months of MOT. There was nothing wrong with the car but they 'found' a piece missing from the driver's side wiper blade which is a cause of failure.
    Are they at fault and should they have told us it was not due for a test yet ? What can I do about it ? I have emailed KW to complain.

unbelievable

you booked an mot
    all facilities are at your disposal these days to see when your mot is due
    the motman cannot know the date of your mot end until he logs on as doing a test so what did you want him to do? abort give your wife a box of roses and do a quick fit dance?
  • robbies_gal
    Options
    ive noticed my usual place forumulaone have now put their so low prices up for mot and service will probably look elsewhere now (basildon)
    What goes around-comes around
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    I have emailed KW to complain.

to complain about what?
    that they didn't know when your MOT was due???.......did you?
    that they found a fault in a wiper blade that you could easily have checked beforehand?

What exactly would the complaint be about?

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • bargainhunterkid
    Options
    Hi there - MOT time for my little car......anyone recommend a good place that won't rip you off in Bedford/Luton area?

Many thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure