We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to do with tree stumps? Plants to hide?

Comments

• SKIPPY54
    SKIPPY54 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hi,I have two large stumps,one my son is going to carve into a totem pole the other I am going to cut into a high back chair and leave it to sit on.
    If you think this has helped make my day and hit the thanks button:beer:
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    bella165 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: i hope you know nothing will then grow in that spot for approx 5 years if you do that,
    its time consuming if you do it your self,but if you split the stump in half as they have quite week roots it will be easy to split the roots down,insted of trying to get it all out in one go,
    best of luck to you,

Thanks. :) I didn't know that. We've bought some Roundup tree stump and root killer and it doesn't say that anywhere on the box. It says it fully degrades in soil and leaves no harmful residues and allows replanting - doesn't mention how long though! I'm not that bothered mind you - i'm just glad the monstrosity is down. It was about 3ft from our livingroom window and it was as high as our 2 storey house. I would have taken a picture of the stump but my son's nicked the batteries from my camera. :rolleyes:

Why do people plant these things and let them grow wild? :confused:
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    omg if it was that close and high i would get the people who knows how to remove as thats FAR to close and the roots could be 1/2way under your foundations and if you were to kill the roots with a killer it could degrade and when it shrinks it could cause a weakness there,
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The roots seem to have taken the path of least resistance and seem to have run up the side of the house. When I say it was about 3ft from the livingroom window, it wasn't by the front but at the side. Anyhow it's down now. He cut it down by hand with a bowsaw - £3+ from B&Q!
  • bella165
    bella165 Posts: 13,127
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Forumite
    well done him
    Replies to posts are always welcome, if they are done in the correct manner. If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • helping_hubby
    helping_hubby Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Thanks for the other suggestions and thanks regarding root kill = no plants for 5 years as that was my last resort but I want to be planting flowers there.

The problem with mine is it's hard to pretty up because it's in the front garden. Pots would probably be stolen, making a bench out of it is pointless in a front garden.

My dad made a bird feature out of his tree stump in his back garden. He deliberately left some branches on it to hang feeders from and left it about 5 foot high. It looks really good.

I have a picture of my stumps:
    IMG_5095.jpg

The conifers were taller than the house. Maybe half the house height taller. Maybe that'll give you a better comparison to see what quote you might get for grinding your stump Mrs E.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    So I paid for a chap to grind out tree stumps, min charge was £60 which covered the first hour of work.

TBH having seen the machine he used, I'd not be minded to hire one and 'have a go' myself!

That said, the result was excellent, everything chipped to 20cm below ground level and was replanted that week, not 5 years!

>I have a picture<

As you have easy access, I reckon they could use a machine where the chipping wheel is on the end of hydraulically controlled arm which makes short work of larger tree stumps and the root ball.
  • evilgoose
    evilgoose Posts: 532 Forumite
    You can buy plugs impregnated with mushroom spores (edible ones) - you drill out a hole, pop in the plug and hey presto 0 lots of fancy mushrooms to eat.
  • Where do you buy the plugs for the mushrooms?
  • dianasnan
    dianasnan Posts: 584
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    could you build a raised flower bed around them and plant with lots of colouful plants , carefully scrounged from your neighbours and friends.

We took out a stump like the exposed one in your picture using a brand new very sharp pickaxe from Screwfix and were suprised that it only took 45 mins between my Husband and Son. The hardest part was getting the heavy stump into the car to go to the tip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure