PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting ex partner out of house - help!

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    superhez wrote: »
    ...She also sells witchcraft stuff online, wands etc (she claims she is a witch, seriously), I know you couldn't write it :rotfl:

halloween-witch.gif
    It is all just mad to me as both myself and hubby have always worked full time (well part time for me when kids younger), and I can't believe he was with some-one like this and how daft he has been over the years re money with her, maybe she cast a spell on him :D

Hope she's cast a spell over HMRC for her self-employed earnings ;)
  • superhez
    superhez Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    NYM wrote: »
    halloween-witch.gif

Hope she's cast a spell over HMRC for her self-employed earnings ;)

:rotfl: H'mm yes I think she may have!
    June Wins - Antandec travel mug
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Show them this

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/public-housing/homeless-people.html

Maybe they'll move faster if they see it might not be so easy to get the council to house them.

Or they might dig their heels in and stay where they are for as long as possible!
  • superhez
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Or they might dig their heels in and stay where they are for as long as possible!

I think this is what they plan to do either way, so will just need to go down the legal route for eviction.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    She also sells witchcraft stuff online, wands etc (she claims she is a witch, seriously)

maybe she cast a spell on him :D

If she's any good, she could cast a spell on the housing office and get pushed to the top of the queue. :)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Does the fact that they are effectively being made homeless because we need them to leave not give them some priority? Wouldn't be surprised if son claims some sort of health things, he seems to know all the tricks to get benefits etc.

It may, in some areas, mean they are housed in emergency accommodation while their status as unintentionally homeless is assessed. It would be in your interests to persuade them to take this if they want any chance of a council house. At least it would get them out.

Maybe also explain that the mortgage lender will repossess and they will find themselves homeless within months in any case.

Given that your husband seems generous to a fault, it may be worth mentioning to him now that it would be foolish to agree to be a guarantor for them in a private let.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • superhez
    We have explained to them that the mortgage needs repaid but they don't care, guess they are thinking it will still give them a few months.

Don't worry Silvercar he has been well and truly told to not hand over another penny or put his name to anything, just waiting on solicitors appointment now.
  • Nostrus
    Nostrus Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As mentioned, without an AT5 then it sounds as though this is an assured tenancy. With that in mind, you now have to jump through some hoops:

1. Serve a Notice to Quit.
    2. Serve a Notice of Proceedings (Form AT6).
    3. Raise an action in court (Summary Cause action for the recovery of heritable property) and serve a section 11 notice on the local council at the same time.
    4. Go to court for the case to be heard by the Sheriff.

If you are successful, the Sheriff shall then grant a decree which can be extracted and issued to a firm of Sheriff Officers for the purposes of evicting the tenants.

However as noted earlier in this thread, get legal advice/representation! If it is an assured tenancy, then it will go to Sheriff Court and you don't want to take this on yourself!
  • superhez
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:50PM
    Nostrus wrote: »
    As mentioned, without an AT5 then it sounds as though this is an assured tenancy. With that in mind, you now have to jump through some hoops:

1. Serve a Notice to Quit.
    2. Serve a Notice of Proceedings (Form AT6).
    3. Raise an action in court (Summary Cause action for the recovery of heritable property) and serve a section 11 notice on the local council at the same time.
    4. Go to court for the case to be heard by the Sheriff.

If you are successful, the Sheriff shall then grant a decree which can be extracted and issued to a firm of Sheriff Officers for the purposes of evicting the tenants.

However as noted earlier in this thread, get legal advice/representation! If it is an assured tenancy, then it will go to Sheriff Court and you don't want to take this on yourself!

Thanks Nostrus this definitely seems like the route we will have to take, have spoken to solicitor today who is getting ball rolling, but need to wait for appointment to start paperwork.

The ex and son only want us to issue the AT6 and not follow rest of process so they can show it to council to try and get housing but they are not daft, they know they can then remain in property so we will be making sure we follow all the steps.
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    How soon they'd be offered anything depends on where they are. North Lanarkshire Council, for example, do have some places available for immediate rent. However, there is a reason some people stay on the list for housing in the preferred area.

Just make sure they are encouraged to take any 'temporary' housing, or the ability to swap is heavily touted to get them out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure