Gazette Ad

I'm acting as executor and I'm about to place the Deceased Estates Notice in The Gazette.

The deceased was living in a care home, so he didn't own his home. Therefore, is there any advantage at all to placing a second notice in a local paper?

Note: I'm only a minor beneficiary of the will myself, so it's important that I protect myself from late claimants.

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Thimble wrote: »
    I'm acting as executor and I'm about to place the Deceased Estates Notice in The Gazette.

The deceased was living in a care home, so he didn't own his home. Therefore, is there any advantage at all to placing a second notice in a local paper?

Note: I'm only a minor beneficiary of the will myself, so it's important that I protect myself from late claimants.
    It makes no difference. Just use a paper local to the deceased's last place of residence.
  • Really? My understanding was that The Gazette ad was the important one (and the cheapest) and that the local paper was optional...
  • Yorkshireman99
    Really? My understanding was that The Gazette ad was the important one (and the cheapest) and that the local paper was optional...
    What I meant was that the OP should do is both. That way there can be no question of validity.
  • The Gazette's website allows you to also pay for local paper ad (£185.00 + VAT), but only recommends it if the estate includes a property there. However, it doesn't give a reason. Any ideas why? It's quite a bit of money to be spending if there's no advantage.
  • Yorkshireman99
    The Gazette's website allows you to also pay for local paper ad (£185.00 + VAT), but only recommends it if the estate includes a property there. However, it doesn't give a reason. Any ideas why? It's quite a bit of money to be spending if there's no advantage.
    AIUI it is so that any debt owed in relation to the building can be claimed.
  • If that's the only reason for a local paper ad, I guess it's not needed in my case.
  • GazzaHT
    GazzaHT Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    My mum didn't own her property, I didn't place an ad. I contacted all utilities and have final balances. Probate was granted and not expecting any further claims from people (small estate value)
  • Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    We didn't bother for my Dad's estate. We were certain that he had no debts (and hadn't in the last 15 years prior to his death) so there's no issue with creditors coming out of the woodwork.
  • I'd been dealing with my Mum's finances in her last years, so I knew exactly what her accounts and other assets were, and there were no debts - and anything from prior years was long since settled. She did own her house, but there were no debts associated with that, other than utilities and council tax. So I didn't bother with either the local paper nor Gazette adverts as there weren't any possible claims. And nothing has arisen, as expected, in the years following.
  • I'd been dealing with my Mum's finances in her last years, so I knew exactly what her accounts and other assets were, and there were no debts - and anything from prior years was long since settled. She did own her house, but there were no debts associated with that, other than utilities and council tax. So I didn't bother with either the local paper nor Gazette adverts as there weren't any possible claims. And nothing has arisen, as expected, in the years following.
    I did the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport