PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rented Housing

People on these boards are not on the whole happy with Assured Shorthold Tenancies, mainly due due to the lack of security of tenure.

What do you think would be a good compromise, to be fair to the tenant AND the landlord?

Do you think there should be more social housing, and if so, on what grounds should it be allocated? And should it be a permanent tenancy?

Your thoughts welcomed.:)
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Given that successive Conservative and Labour governments have continued with RTB which is now being ramped up to include HA properties I don't see more social housing happening.

AST would be more secure if the Section 21 was abolished. Then landlords would only be able to evict if they had a valid reason. This might mean increasing the number of grounds a Section 8 can be issued on.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No one is ever going to get security of tenure in private rented accommodation in the same way that you can in social housing simply because private rental housing is eventually always going to be in someone's estate. You can't morally expect people to inherit rented housing and expect them to take over as landlords. If they sell the houses as rented property then the tenants get new landlords that may not run the business the way that the original landlord did.

I also don't think that private rented housing should provide better security of tenure than ownership.

At the moment if you rent a house from a landlord who is letting as a business there is no reason why they would ask a good tenant to leave a property. Landlords do not make money from vacant houses. The whole point of letting property is to get an income.

To do anything about this you have got to first find out which landlords are issuing section 21 notices and why.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,255
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    In my opinion the right to buy scheme should be stopped, more social housing should be built and people given life tenancies. There is nothing worse than not having a stable address, somewhere to call home where you feel safe and don't have to live as if it's temporary all the time. Everyone should either have decent secure rented accommodation or own their accommodation. Once more housing is available for social rent, private renting will diminish.
  • t0rt0ise wrote: »
    In my opinion the right to buy scheme should be stopped, more social housing should be built and people given life tenancies. There is nothing worse than not having a stable address, somewhere to call home where you feel safe and don't have to live as if it's temporary all the time. Everyone should either have decent secure rented accommodation or own their accommodation. Once more housing is available for social rent, private renting will diminish.

That's all very well (life Tenancies ) if the tenants are decent and law abiding, I think a lot of the starter tenancies and assured are being used so that the landlord can get them out easier if they display anti social behaviour etc. I know our social landlord brought this in for just those reasons.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No private renting, all rented housing should be social housing, secure tenancies, fair rents.

In fact, in my perfect world there'd be no home ownership either, housing would be an essential service provided by the state, like the NHS or the police.

I may be in a minority of 1 on this though!
  • Person_one wrote: »
    No private renting, all rented housing should be social housing, secure tenancies, fair rents.

In fact, in my perfect world there'd be no home ownership either, housing would be an essential service provided by the state, like the NHS or the police.

Almost certainly!!

Assuming a non-perfect world, how would you allocate social housing?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Person_one wrote: »

Clothes and food are vital to sustain life - can we nationalise M&S?
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Clothes and food are vital to sustain life - can we nationalise M&S?

Fine by me. ;)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    AST would be more secure if the Section 21 was abolished. Then landlords would only be able to evict if they had a valid reason. This might mean increasing the number of grounds a Section 8 can be issued on.
    I agree with this, but there should be a ground on the basis of personal need, ie. the landlord loses his job and needs to sale, or divorce etc...
    So how do you allocate the large 5 bed detached next to the top performing school as opposed to the small 2 bedroom in the worse estate?
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Three year leases would give renters more security and continuity but it would need to be easier for LLs to evict for nonpayers and those abusing the property. A degree of rent control wouldn't go amiss either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure