Santander Last 3% Payment

Options
When is the last 3% interest payment due on the 123 Current Account ?

Is it at one point in November depending on your account anniversary ?
Thanks
JG

Comments

• bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JGUK wrote: »
    When is the last 3% interest payment due on the 123 Current Account ?

Is it at one point in November depending on your account anniversary ?

Interest is calculated daily and paid monthly.

So you will get the last time 3% on the balance of Oct 31st and as Nov 1st it will be 1.5%. Your interest payment in November (whatever day of the month that is) will consist in part of the 3% rate with the rest at the 1.5% rate.
  • JGUK
    JGUK Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cool thanks for that !
    Thanks
    JG
  • Dragonfly1
    Dragonfly1 Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Interest is calculated daily and paid monthly.

So you will get the last time 3% on the balance of Oct 31st and as Nov 1st it will be 1.5%. Your interest payment in November (whatever day of the month that is) will consist in part of the 3% rate with the rest at the 1.5% rate.

If you close/change the account 1 day before the Anniversary date in November, will you still pay the £5 fee that would have been due the next day? And similarly, would you be paid interest for the 29 days that you had the account open for?

I'm also just working out the best time to swap account :)
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dragonfly1 wrote: »
    If you close/change the account 1 day before the Anniversary date in November, will you still pay the £5 fee that would have been due the next day?

I have no idea - for parts of a month, the bank might charge the account fees pro rata. If you close the account one day before the full month, that would make a fee of £ 4.84.

You better ask Santander to give you an authoritative answer.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    I have no idea - for parts of a month, the bank might charge the account fees pro rata. If you close the account one day before the full month, that would make a fee of £ 4.84.

You better ask Santander to give you an authoritative answer.
    I don't think they do because when I downgraded mine when the fee went up from £3 pm, there was no fraction charged.
  • Dragonfly1
    Options
    I don't think they do because when I downgraded mine when the fee went up from £3 pm, there was no fraction charged.

So, just to clarify
    - There was no additional part-month fee, and did they still pay out a part-month worth of interest?

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I downgraded mine, when it went up to £5, I still paid the full £3 on closure.

I dont think they pro rata the fee,
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
    2010 Posts: 5,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the interest is calculated daily and the £5 fee is charged no matter when you close your account, wouldn`t the best time be a day or two before the monthy interest day.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I changed to a 123 lite account at the end of October, a day before my payment was due. I received my DD credits as usual but wasn't charged a fee at all. Not even the £1 for lite. A month later I again got my credits and paid £1.

I didn't have much money in the account but still received about 40p interest at the end of October. I didn't work out if that was pro-rated or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure