How much were you charged for a house survey?

I've been quoted £480 for a home-buyer survey and £360 for a cheap, more concise version. In my mind these seem too steep is this what most people paid?

Comments

• saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    I've been quoted £480 for a home-buyer survey and £360 for a cheap, more concise version. In my mind these seem too steep is this what most people paid?

I'm not sure you have an option. Usually come bundled with the product. Not usually an option to "shop around".
  • saverbuyer wrote: »
    I'm not sure you have an option. Usually come bundled with the product. Not usually an option to "shop around".

Oh sorry I should have said that this is a private survey and not one undertaken for a mortgage.

Unfortunately this is after shopping around £360 seems to be the cheapest but it's a very brief report; however the house is relatively modern (1970's.)
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Oh sorry I should have said that this is a private survey and not one undertaken for a mortgage.

Unfortunately this is after shopping around £360 seems to be the cheapest but it's a very brief report; however the house is relatively modern (1970's.)

It's really going to be a case of using google and phoning around if it's a cash sale.

It's a tough one. If you are getting on to pick up potential faults, you'll probably get value bringing a builder you can trust around at some stage too. The survey will be full of caveats, so offers little protection on things they miss.

A catch 22 I guess. Get a survey, that might have little value and offers little protection. Don't get a survey and you'll pick nothing up.

Oh and FYI a homebuyers report is pretty basic too.
  • I used Watt Surveying in Ballymena and got a Homebuyers Report for £360 inc VAT. It was 40 pages long and quite detailed. The surveyor answered any questions I had about it.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    It's really going to be a case of using google and phoning around if it's a cash sale.

It's a tough one. If you are getting on to pick up potential faults, you'll probably get value bringing a builder you can trust around at some stage too. The survey will be full of caveats, so offers little protection on things they miss.

A catch 22 I guess. Get a survey, that might have little value and offers little protection. Don't get a survey and you'll pick nothing up.

Oh and FYI a homebuyers report is pretty basic too.

The builder might not give you any caveats, but remember they are in the business of building and not offering advice, thus it is unlikely that you will have any redress in the courts if they get any of their advice wrong.

The surveyor on the other hand is in the business of offering advice and that is why they have to be very precise with regarding to the advice they give and give caveats regarding advice that they cannot give because it might be outside of out of their knowledge or expertise or because they cannot inspect aspects of the property where they do not have aspects to etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure