PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Money Saving recipes for Slimming World

Comments

• Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi - I did SW from Sep 04 to Sep05 and lost 4 stone (still had another 5 to go though), but my metabolism just stopped and I lost heart etc etc etc and have put on 2 of the stone I lost :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, I re-started (on my own rather than going to class, it was a waste of money to be honest) and have lost 5 pounds since 2 Jan. I aim to have my first stone back off by Valentines day (off to Amsterdam for a few days) then another 1.5 stone by mid May (week in Spain!)

anyway....I love Green days , although I lose weight a lot more slowly :mad:

but, here is some of what I cook

Lunch

jacket potato with beans (Free)
    quorn sausages (frozen ones are 50p a box cheaper in Tesco) with beans or mushy peas (Free)
    Batchelors Chicken n Mushroom pasta (make all with water) (Free)
    Batchelors Chicken rice (Free)
    Soup made with lots of free veggies, with a can of tomatoes, blitzed (free)
    Cheese and potato omelette (free, use A choices for cheese)
    Courgette/pepper/onion omelette (free)
    Egg fried rice - cooked boiled rice, tin of peas, egg, soy sauce. spray of Frylight inthe pan (free)
    Cous cous with various additions - spring onions, coriander, chick peas, peppers, chilli, lemon juice, fresh tomatoes -whatever you fancy! (free)

Dinner

Chicken with pasta with a veggy tomato sauce (onion, courgette, pepper, grated carrot to bulk, mushroom, tin of tomatoes, pasta, 4oz chicken) (free/chicken is 1x B choice)

Pork mince chilli with rice (pork mince, tomatoes, onion, peppers, grated carrot, kidney beans, baked beans chilli powder) (free, 4 oz pork mince 1x B choice)

Roast pork, mashed potatoes, peas veggies gravy (Slow cooked shoulder of pork, mash made with very low fat yoghurt and an egg yolk, peas, veggies, gravy) (free/ 4 oz pork= 1x B choice/gravy made with granules 4 tbsp 1Syn)

Quorn Cottage Pie (Mash made as above, Quorn mince, stock cube, bulk with onions, peas, carrots) (free)

I could go on all night (veggie lasagne anyone :T !!) but Iwon't bore you anymore!!!!!!

hope this helps a bit - budget wise, I use all Tesco Value where possible (kidney beans, tomatoes baked beans etc), I use cheaper cuts of meat and slow cooker them and I buy bags of frozen onions and peppers, they seem to go further for the price (bag of frozen peppers is approx 55p - the cost of one fresh one!!!)
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ooh, ooh, forgot a good one - Veggie curry

Rice, onions, peppers, chick peas, peas, boiled potatoes,tin of tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, curry powder, butternut squash (cube and roast first) boiled eggs - all free!!!

Soften onions and peppers in Frylight, add rice, curry powder, water, tin of tomatoes, then all the veggies, cook until rice just about softenened then carefully add boiled eggs to the mixture and cook for five more minutes - you can make it as wet or dry as your tastes are!! Stir in some very low fat yoghurt at the end and add some chopped coriander if you have some!!!

Luvverly!!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • When I did SW before (3years ago and pre money saver), I prefered green days and my fav was:

Veg Curry (tinned but could make HM easily)
    Spicy Rice (ready made but again easily make HM)
    Bombay Potatoes (tinned but easilt make HM)

All these were free on the green days, so could add a little chicken or meat to the curry for protein.

On a red day, it was mainly cooked breakies all day and steak etc with salad.

Used to fill up on veg and salad if hungry and made veggie soup to keep in the fridge and normally had a bowl before each meal to fill me up abit.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    All the above a great sugestions.

Tonight I am making veg pasta bake-
    spray a baking tray with fry light, chop up red and yellow peppers and courgette (and onion if you like but I can't bear it!), lay them on the baking tray and spray fry light on top. Bake in oven gas mark 6 till tender. Boil some pasta up, when cooked mix some low fat fromage frais with it. When the veg are done, mix some passata or tinned tomatoes in and some herbs. Add the creamy pasta on top and bake for 20 mins.

Cheese potato pie-
    Boil some potatoes, then add milk from healthy A allowance, and laughing cow light triangles from healthy A allowance. Mash together till creamy. Transfer to ovenproof style dish, top with grated cheese (use healthy B or syns), add seasoning. Put under grill till cheese melts. Serve with baked beans or tinned tomatoes.

Quorn bolognese-
    this has been mentioned already but I make a big batch in my slow cooker, put the whole packet in with a big jar of passata (Morrisons do a value range one large size), add lots of veg to pad it out. Serve with spaghetti.

Re the person who said it's harder to lose weight on green days when nearing target- what I will say (as a sw consultant) is that it's important to eat a wide variety of free foods, and if you're having rice or pasta as a meal include plenty of veg on the plate and not just the rice or pasta. I do find that members who do the former tend to lose more weight.

In my group we swap suggestions on which products are cheap/on offer at which supermarkets which helps. Remember too that frozen and tinned veg are often cheaper than fresh and there's less waste, so this is an option to keep veg cost down.

Sarah.x :)
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • ymcas
    ymcas Posts: 91 Forumite
    FrankieM wrote:
    Interestingly I was just thinking of starting the plan again tomorrow and wondering if I could manage it on the tight food budget we are living on at the moment.

I've generally used my Healthy extras for cereal and a meat portion at night and then had jacket spuds or omolettes etc for lunch...that egg fried rice sounds lovely, also tesco value savoury rice and value noodles. I guess it depends if you prefer a sandwich at lunch....

Then at night I can eat just as I would have normally but making sure the meat portions are right for the amount of people ( if you know what I mean).

So chilli, bolognaise,beefy mince ( minced beef, onions, mushrooms,measured out gravy powder, water to get to the right consistancy and some soya sauce) cottage pie but don't put butter in the mash or just do the base and serve with jacket potato.

bacon, onions, tinned tomatoes and basil served with pasta/spaghetti.
    bacon in rice with onions, peppers , mushrooms, some thai spice and soya sauce.

I think you could probably make most dishes Slimming World friendly by doing that.

Of course if your a vegie you could just not use quorn but bulk out with extra veg....

Be carefull, don't think value noodles are free anymore... only low fat ones!
  • franney
    franney Posts: 231 Forumite
    OH YAY!
    I lost over 3 stone with SW three years ago, then became lazy and put it all back on again and i have just started it back up myself, not going to go to meetings this time as the lady who used to do it has left and apparantly the new one isn't very nice :eek:
    Annnnnnnnnyway! I'd like to say thanks to everyone for the recipe suggestions so far and if you bear with me i will go and find some recipes to share too
    :)
    There's a thread in Discussion Time HERE for those who are detoxing/losing weight in an OS way, it'd be great to see you all over there if you haven't already found it :)
  • franney
    2 leeks
    1pt stock
    tin of butterbeans

soften leeks in a little frylight, add stock and butterbeans and simmer for ten minutes then blend :)
  • franney
    Serves 4
    Sins per serving on a green day 6 (if you count the mozarella as a HE then deduct 6 sins per serving)

1 onion
    1 red pepper
    ¼pint/142ml chicken stock made with bovril (is that still free?)
    1 aubergine
    1 courgette
    2 tins tomatoes chopped
    1tsp dried mixed herbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    1lb/454g pasta
    6oz mozarella, grated (sorry can't read the metric equivalent)

1. Peel and chop the onion, deseed and chop the pepper. Place in apan with the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes

2. Trim and slice the aubergine and the courgette, add to the pan with the tomatoes, herbs and seasoning, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes

3. Stir in the boiled pasta and 4oz mozarella cheese. Pile into a shallow ovenproof dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Place under a preheated hot grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted.

Serve sprinkled with black pepper

This recipe was given to me at a SW meeting, i am not sure if it's a members own recipe or if it's one from a book in which case i apologise if i have breached someone's copyright :(
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    TVP (dried soya mince) is very cheap and can be used in bolognese etc and is a free food. Also available are soya chunks. Both are available in Holland and Barratts. Just add some water/stock to a small amount and it swells.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Is cottage cheese still free on the diet? When I did it years ago I used to make a "quiche" which was free, basically take a tub of cottage cheese, some veggies (pepper, peas, mushorooms, onion etc) add a beaten egg (or 2 depending on how much cheese/veg there is) & bake it in a medium oven. This is lovely hot with beans & spuds (they were also free way back when) or cold for a packed lunch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure