Passport problems!

Options
I hope someone can help with this as I have looked online for advice and I'm confused. My husband, daughter and I are going abroad for a holiday next year and I need to get passports sorted. My daughter has never had a passport before and is under 16 so it's a straightforward new passport application. My husband and I both have passports which are now expired and lost (they are in the house somewhere but have vanished into a black hole). Also my passport was in my maiden name so obviously mine will also require a name change. I have no idea what the details (ie passport numbers etc) are for the expired passports.

So......do I need to complete a new application form for both of us or complete a lost/stolen form for both of us and just provide what information I can or something else entirely? Please help.

Comments

• SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Definitely not straightforward...

If there is any chance either your or your husband's passport are still valid, you will definitely need to report it as lost to the passport office using form LS01 (can be done in tandem with your application). Not so clear if you need to report an expired passport.

I would suggest calling the passport office to get advice on what to do. The URL below should take you to their contact page, you can also submit an online query form if you don't want to call.

https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line?backtoPage=https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc

Once you make an application, it consider using Post Office check and send service if you are unsure about the application. Costs a bit more, but they will check all your forms for you.

In the meantime, dig out original copies of birth (and in your case, marriage) certificates if you have them, it's possible they will ask for them in this case.

Maybe others can give more specific info, but hopefully this sends you in the right direction.
  • sexyshark
    sexyshark Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    a word of warning my passport was expired and my mum binned it thinking i wouldn't need it, and filled out LS01 and it took 7 weeks, as i beleive they do further checks,
    Sealed pot member 095 SPC No 7 £578.32
    sealed pot No 8 Target £750 TOTAL £1059.86:j
    sealed pot no 9 Target £1200 TOTAL £1073.38:cool:
    sealed pot no 10 Target £1200 TOTAL £1209
    sealed pot No 11 target £1250 total £TBC
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsSippi wrote: »
    My daughter has never had a passport before and is under 16 so it's a straightforward new passport application.

BTW, this may not be completely straightforward, as I'm fairly sure that your daughter's application will require the details of at least one of her parents. Since 1983, being born in the UK alone does not confer right of citizenship, it depends on the parental right to remain in UK status at the time of birth. With the passport office, that is easiest to prove by providing parent's passport number...though you can probably do it with birth certificates, just might take longer.

Would still recommend you contact the passport office, but section 3 of the guidance notes would indicate that they require details of all uncancelled passports, including expired ones.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf

Am sure you'll get there, but would allow plenty of extra time for the application in case they want to do extra ID checking.

And always, always, take scans or photocopies of your passports (photo page and any visas). Take them with you when you travel and keep separate from the passport.

Good luck.
  • MrsSippi
    MrsSippi Posts: 287 Forumite
    Options
    SW17 wrote: »
    BTW, this may not be completely straightforward, as I'm fairly sure that your daughter's application will require the details of at least one of her parents. Since 1983, being born in the UK alone does not confer right of citizenship, it depends on the parental right to remain in UK status at the time of birth. With the passport office, that is easiest to prove by providing parent's passport number...though you can probably do it with birth certificates, just might take longer.

Would still recommend you contact the passport office, but section 3 of the guidance notes would indicate that they require details of all uncancelled passports, including expired ones.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf

Am sure you'll get there, but would allow plenty of extra time for the application in case they want to do extra ID checking.

And always, always, take scans or photocopies of your passports (photo page and any visas). Take them with you when you travel and keep separate from the passport.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. We have got about 5 months to sort it but I am going to ring the passport office tomorrow and double check with them exactly what I need to do, just so I know I get the applications right first time.

I have already completed my daughter's application form and, as someone rightly stated I did have to provide details of her grandparents marriages etc. I am confident I have completed her application correctly but nonetheless I am going to do the check and send option with all 3 of the applications to hopefully save a bit of time.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsSippi wrote: »
    (they are in the house somewhere but have vanished into a black hole)

If you're sure about this, wouldn't it be faster to turn the house upside down than to report them as lost?

Although if you're in no particular hurry, I guess it should be OK.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 October 2014 at 11:02AM
    Options
    complete all 3 applications in full. LS01's for the lost passports. Post the together in the one envelope that way they will all get looked at as a family. You will need your daughters Full birth certificate the one with the parents details on it and the passport office will find your passport numbers for you. Don't use the check and send as they can get split up and you will have to provide more documents. Do it just now whilst its quiet and your daughter is still under 16 ( if you wait til she's 16 he will have to attend an ID interview
  • Dozey_crow
    Options
    Hi,

We were in exactly the same situation. We asked the passport office for advice and we had to state that the passports were lost. We took the documentation to the passport office with our marraige certificate.. It cost more money but we had out passports in 7 days but better than that we had no concerns about whether we had it right or not.

So my advice is to call them... They were really helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure