Travel Trolley refusing to change passenger name, Emirates not helping!

Options
Last week I booked 2 flights with Emirates, through the agency 'Travel Trolley'. Less than two hours after booking, I emailed Travel Trolley to say that I need to change the 2nd passenger's surname (possibly a very expensive human error on my part :(). To cut a long story short, after numerous phone calls to Travel Trolley and Emirates, I have been left with each agent telling me that it is the decision of the other agent as to whether or not I can have my ticket re-issued with the surname changed. Travel Trolley want me to cancel my non-refundable ticket and rebook, leaving me hundreds of pounds out of pocket. I have asked a number of times to have the ticket re-issued with a name change, and that I am willing to pay a fee (an Emirates agent told me this was possible, only to have this statement retracted by Emirates later on). I think it is very unreasonable for them to say they cannot help me and not even to offer me the chance of paying a fee to change the name.
I have spoken to my bank and they are looking into whether or not they can cancel the charge to my credit card and return my money.

I just feel like I am being fobbed off by both Travel Trolley and Emirates and desperately want to sort this out, so that I can get on with planning the rest of my holiday.

I wonder if anyone else has been in a similar situation and how your situation was resolved? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2014 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Emirates do not allow name changes
    http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faqdetails.aspx?faqId=664147

any error in name or spelling of the name will mean that the ticket will have to be cancelled (with the applicable cancellation charges) and a new one purchased in the correct name, subject to current fares and availability of flights.

name changes is something that tends to be offered only by low cost carriers such as Easyjet, Ryanair etc

no name changes on Emirates does not change since you booked through an agent, same response if you had booked direct with Emirates

Unfortunately this is an expensive mistake you have made (and not one you are likely to make again)
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    jbb1987 wrote: »
    .I have spoken to my bank and they are looking into whether or not they can cancel the charge to my credit card and return my money.

I would be very wary about doing this.
    If your bank reclaims the money, there is a very good chance that Travel Trolley will dispute it and if they provide evidence that the booking was non changeable and that the name error was made by you, not only will the payment be taken back from your account, you could also end up being liable for any costs incurred due to the ineligible chargeback.
  • jbb1987
    Options
    Thank you for the link, but I have been told by Emirates when initially contacting them, that a name change is possible as the travel agent can simply re-issue my ticket with the change, but for a fee of course!
    If this isn't the case, then Emirates need to look at training their staff to make sure they actually know what they are talking about when 'advising' customers!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have been told by Emirates when initially contacting them, that a name change is possible as the travel agent can simply re-issue my ticket with the change, but for a fee of course!
    If this isn't the case, then Emirates need to look at training their staff to make sure they actually know what they are talking about when 'advising' customers!
    I have asked a number of times to have the ticket re-issued with a name change, and that I am willing to pay a fee (an Emirates agent told me this was possible, only to have this statement retracted by Emirates later on).

You've answered your own question.
  • jbb1987
    Options
    Well I haven't answered my own question, I'm saying that I'm getting conflicting messages from Emirates and it's frustrating!
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    Emirates can actually be quite amenable if you book through them, but as you didn't they have no obligation to help you. I assume you saved a packet by booking through traveltrolley?
    travelover
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Options
    Emirates will allow a name change, providing you have to change three characters or less. You'll have to got through Travel Trolley to action this, Emirates charge £35 for the changes.

The problem you'll have is that Travel Trolley will want to ream you for the changes, you won't be able to go directly through Emirates but they should give you confirmation that it is possible.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it a different 2nd passenger travelling? Or is it just a name correction that needs to be done?

If it is a name spelling correction or their last name has changed due to marriage or similar, then be clear on this when speaking to Travel Trolley.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You made two mistakes, you made the booking without double-checking the details you entered and you booked from a !!!!!! 3rd party and now expect higher than !!!!!! service.
  • annie_d
    annie_d Posts: 933 Forumite
    Options
    I was flying to Bahrain last year and my husband booked the ticket in my maiden name. ( He SAID accidentally! ) Emirates changed it for me for £77.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure