Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you can bring yourself to buy a copy of today's Mail (90p) you'll find in it a voucher for £5 off £40 spent at Lidl.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Or simply help yourself to one in the basket when a member of staff is doing a cardboard run.
    Just taking one from a shelf (emptying the contents first of course), works for me. And I can pick just the right type of box for the job.
    Stompa
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    My Aldi has had the fresh fruit & veg dept revamped, more choice, single apples, lemons & bananas now available. I like the organic lines too. Everything looked fresher & more tempting yesterday. The Super 6 this week is a good one, lovely satsumas, apples and mushrooms. Butternut squashes were a bit small, but a nice seasonal buy.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 October 2014 at 9:12AM
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I always use boxes, and have never been charged.

I thought that they scan a barcode on the bags to charge for them.

It might be a button on the till rather than scanning a bar code. Lidl tried to charge me once when I brought my own along to reuse but I noticed in time...I now take cloth bags or boxes but I'll take more care that I don't get accidently charged for recycling,lol.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Amazing that morrisons are now price matching Aldi and Lidl. Can only be good for shoppers
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Amazing that morrisons are now price matching Aldi and Lidl. Can only be good for shoppers

I dont like Morrisons, I hate the layout of my local store and they arent price matching them on numerous items. Morrisons remind me of a more upmarket kwik save. The prices of wine for example, extortionate compared to aldi. I actually think aldi is cheaper than lidl for many items, they'll always be my first choice shop, them and home bargains.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Does Aldi do their own Malibu or Southern Comfort? Are they any good?
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Does Aldi do their own Malibu or Southern Comfort? Are they any good?

Aldi used to do something called Southern Belle which was a southern Comfort clone, and was very good. Not sure if they still do it though.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Aldi just changed the Malibu clone, Cocobay, and the reviews are mixed. I hope they change it back, I read the reviews and steered clear.
    The Southern Comfort clone isn't in at the moment.
    The Gluehwein is back, £4.99, and new, I think, is Apfelgluehwein, which sounds like mulled cider, £2.99.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I go into M's once a fortnight to check on their meat and fish offers as it's very good quality. It will be interesting to see how the price match is going to work.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure