Paying for a train ticket- but won't have card for pick up- any advice?

mcallister1
mcallister1 Posts: 2,198 Forumite
My daughter is in York and was not coming home at the end of her term, but going onto a festival. However now she is ill and we need to get her home. However she has lost her bank card:( and really I need to pay for a train ticket, for today, to get her home. However I know that if I do that she will need my card to collect the ticket from the collection machine. She can't go to the bank with her passport as it has been sent off to get a visa on it :eek:
Am I going to have to get my husband to drive up there to get her? Or is there a way of getting a ticket without the card??

Comments

• katsclaws
    katsclaws Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello , I think you can still collect tickets from the desks (for buying tickets/enquiries) providing you have the reference without using the machine. When we posted train tickets to our son and they did not arrive he was able to pick up some duplicates at the station. So there are definitely ways round this. I'm sure someone will have a helpline number.
  • New_Collier
    New_Collier Posts: 69 Forumite
    Similar thing happened to my daughter couple of years ago - a lost purse. I suggest you call the Station manager at York - or customer services of the train company you are buying a ticket for. You may have to do a bit of fussing round - but they maybe willing to take your card details over the phone and keep it at the ticket desk for her to pick up. Staff at my local station often go the extra mile to help people in difficult situations. Good luck
  • mcallister1
    East coast say i can use the SILK arrangement and pay at a station here for a ticket- but it is a walk up fare price...still better than nothing. I like the idea of taking in the reference numbers but its a bit risky. I will call york direct. Thanks for your supportive comments!!
  • mcallister1
    Thankfully, just as we were reconciling ourselves to the drive to York, someone else's Mum took pity on her and is giving her a lift back to the South. Phew...
  • briddj
    briddj Posts: 39 Forumite
    Thankfully, just as we were reconciling ourselves to the drive to York, someone else's Mum took pity on her and is giving her a lift back to the South. Phew...

Why didn't they just buy the train ticket and you give them the cash.....
  • FARE-COP
    FARE-COP Posts: 100 Forumite
    The SILK arrangement is the way that rail companies deal with stranded passengers and has been in place since BR days

Don't try risking booking online and then taking the booking reference to use on train or at the booking office idea.

I do sympathise with people in this position, but the rules relating to online purchases and the need to have the card available are very clear and are accepted as a part of the internet booking procedure.

It will usually result in a report by rail staff and can lead to further action or at the very least, you end up paying the fare again.

Unfortunately this kind of difficulty can often lead to arguments about refunds and breaches of terms & conditions and is the one area where I think the rail companies & their agents really need to sort out their policies.

In my opinion, if you cancel an online purchased ticket before the date or time of travel, I don't see why you should be unduly penalised by either the card provider or the ticket agent/rail company

I know all about the on train & business efficiencies achievable as a result of advance seat bookings and benefits from booking in advance to get a cheaper ticket. That is accepted, but I personally consider it is morally wrong to take a fare for a ticket which cannot subsequently be used and refuse to refund it if handed back before the date & time of train for which it is booked.

On the other side of the argument I also subscribe to the condition that the card with which an online ticket is booked must be present when that ticket is collected and used.

This stops the common 'fiddle' that would (and does) occur when one person has the actual ticket and uses it, but and hands the printed booking reference to someone else in an attempt to assist that third party to avoid a fare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure