Giblet's mortgage free journey

Comments

• Wow - massive overpayments - you should be very pleased with that.

I'm glad to hear you had a great holiday but how rubbish to now be dealing the 2 lots of teeth problems! Mine are a nightmare as I have receding gums (genetic apparently) and every year they get worse and worse. Plus my old fillings are deteriorating. I hate teeth. :D

Hope you and the cats are okay and you soon get back into the swing of work.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Thanks all. I'll reply properly when I'm on my laptop. Poor cat is getting worse...losing hair and sores appearing has meant a other vet visit and a diagnosis of skin problems. No more treats, aerosols, extra injections and lots of cuddles from mummy to try and reverse the damage...Makes me so sad for her...little lamb!
    Currently preparing the house to make her more comfy so speak later folks and happy Friday xx
    Debt remaining: :(
    Mortgage - £117,759 (£134,600, Nov 2013)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200) :beer:

• Oh and in MSE news my most recent mortgage letter has confirmed I've now shaved a full year off the 30yr term. I want more off tho! Xx

• amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think we're up to 2 years now. A year or two doesn't seem like much when it's so far in the future, but when you think of it as a whole year of having an extra £XXX pounds every month, you'll definitely appreciate it when it comes. At first I was thinking I'd be saving £500 a month but of course we normally overpay on top so it's even more. That's £6000-9000 extra in one year!!! Mind blowing amount for us!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • mrsp1987
    mrsp1987 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Wedding Day Wonder Cashback Cashier
    For me each £500 overpayment is 2 months off the mortgage! It doesn't sound like a lot but I've done 4 so far this year which is 8 months. It certainly all adds up
  • Hi amy and mrsp (and all) - those extra months are definitely going to make a different. I think we've done about 18mths off now, and as we're paying about £1200 atm (plus any extra we can get) it'll be a HUGE amount when we are finished. To be fair, we don't want to be working as hard as we are forever, and would like to have some little people along the way to cost us, but even so, we're in a good place.

Happy news to report that my balance as of today is £123,969! Under £124000, yay. Very pleased with this. Obviously I'd love it to be lower, but we're doing really well and have now OP'd about £5000 in total since we remortgaged last November (initially by keeping our DD the same despite the lower interest, and then adding in the amount we were paying towards a finished loan, plus committing to find £200 more at least a month).
    I just want to keep finding more to put to it tho :) I know this year I can OP another £6000 before penalties (as we only started seriously late in the year) so although that would be impossible, I do have some additional wages coming from the various jobs...wonder how close I can get :)

In other news, the cats are now settled here, and my poorly one does seem to be improving (they're currently fighting in a plastic bag, so that is a good sign).

Another £600 OP made today, leaving me enough to pay for my teeth (quoted at £700 so horrible but essential outgoings). Not looking forward to the surgery tho :( )

Off to drink my tea kindly made by DH and to catch up with you all :)

Have a lovely day,

Gib xx

• Morning all,
    Neck deep in work but having five minutes off with a brew to check in. Some days I have to keep thinking 'overpayments' to keep me from drowning in the amount of work I take on. Unfortunately it's the paperwork that builds up due to other priorities, but it has to be done eventually!
    Nice but cold day here. I'm resisting the temptation to sneak on to my online banking and do a tilly tidy. Must wait and see the final dental bill damage.....we'll see how long that lasts anyway :)
    Gib xx

• mrsp1987
    Good news re the cats! I remember when Skip was ill and I would have loved to see her improve, so I understand the sense of relief you might be feeling xx
  • I'm so sorry that it didn't happen for you mrsp - it's horrible to see them suffering :( xx

• mrsp1987
    It is, she was my first pet. She was hubby's before we met so moved in with us when we bought our house. I'd like to think we didn't leave it too long to make the final decision and she didn't suffer too much xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure