UPDATED: Air Source Heat Pumps/Air Con - Full Info & Guide, is it cheaper to run than mains gas?

Comments

• That was our thoughts, Spaceair take exception if you get anyone else involved to the point where they revoke all warranties - nice. They have been told if they dont answer by tomorrow we are going to the manufacturer, let hope something happens.
  • Surely the warranty ultimately lies with the manufacturer?
  • Yes I agree, but Spaceair already had a go at me for making a general enquiry about how I should run it most efficiently, and told me 'bulls**t' about I would invalidate the warranty by contacting them direct. I wouldn't mind but we bought a brand new house with this installed, I'm thinking the warranty must be between the house developer and Spaceair. A bit of legal advise we got was if it wont be sorted put in a letter of claim to Daikin and Spaceair, let me fight between them who's responsibility it is.
  • Trouble is, before you can claim you have to identify the fault. If you are prevented from doing so because Spaceair won't attempt to diagnose and they won't let you approach another Daikin dealer, I would say that this is restrictive practice and unlawful.

Why not email the link to this thread to Daikin?
  • firstly sorry about the typos - fully how stress make your fingers run faster.

I totally agree with you, their engineers can see its not running right but cannot establish the fault, surely we have to give Spaceair time to respond, they came on Monday, but the Director who I'm dealing with has said he is away and will look at the engineers report when he returns - we dont know when that will be, so how long should we give them to respond?
    Its great getting someone else's perspective on this - many thanks, my boss also thinks I should be dealing with the manufacturer, we are so paranoid of making a really bad situation worse.
  • Well, if the engineer has been and has told YOU that he cannot establish the fault there doesn't seem to me to be much point in waiting for the Spaceair director to come back to read the report, because nobody will be any the wiser.
  • the frustration is unbearable, tomorrow I will contact the manufacturer and I'll post an update, when I get one.

Cheers for the chat.
  • No problem..
  • bushyh
    bushyh Posts: 53 Forumite
    wo am I glad I found this site hopefully someone may be able to help. I moved into a brand new 4 bed house at the end of February. it is heated by a calorex air source heat pump with radiators in rooms (no under floor and no back up system). There are 3 of us in the house. I have had no real instructions about how to best use the system and have been using the control panel pretty much as I would a gas boiler although I had been told the heating wouldn't work at the same time as the water so I have the two coming on and off at different times. It was the first one the installers had put in so I am not convinced they know much about them - it was part of the planning regs for the house (5 houses were built all the rest have gas). The odd occasion I have called Calorex they have not been that helpful. I have suspected either I am not using it properly or it is not properly installed as it takes so long to warm up the house at least compared to my previous house and conventional boiler. However it is only now the weather is really cold that I have been convinced. The heating has been on since 5am this morning (now 1.40pm) at the hall temperature is only at 13 C the termostat is on 21. At 8am it was 10.9C. (Yesterday the hall managed to get to 15C by 9pm). At 8am this morning ringing the changes I put the water onto all day to see if it made any difference the radiators then went off and a small amount of heat started to trickle through them at 11.30am. I was cold last winter in a rented house and am now thinking this winter is going to be the same. I have contacted the builder who will get the installer out but am wondering if there is anything I should do in the way it is being used. The water tank temperature is 45. Thank you
  • Our 8.5kW Ecodan is set at 55 degrees C and is used to heat our radiators. We live in a well insulated, doble glazed 1933, 3 bedroomed bungalow about 900ft2. We had this installed last April but it is only over the last week that we have stressed the system. Our thrermostat is set at 19C (there is no radiator in the little lobby where the thermostat is sited but there is one in the kitchen next to it). Now, the kitchen radiator has some sludge in the bottom and I am waiting for a <b>quote from our installer!</b> to come and clean it out, so bear in mind that the kitchen isn't being heated to its full potential.

This morning temperature on thermostat in lobby went down to 14C (heating is set to ALLDAY) which means it comes on at 7:00am (weekends) and goes off at 11:30pm on demand from the thermostat. It's still only showing 16C on the thermostat but the rest of the house is being warmed by the sun so I'm actually just a bit too warm right now. In the kitchen at the back of the house it is just about warme enough, due to the radiator problem.

We've just been out collecting wood from hedgerows and sawn it up into logs to burn on the fire tonight - not because we need to but because we needed the exercise and we like a nice fire to look at.

This eveing I am confident that we would be warm enough just relying on the Ecodan, just as we were last night at ambient down to -8C outside.

Last week we used 333kWh electricity, about the same as we would have done last year: before we had the pump we were using two electric underfloor mats in kitchen and bedroom 1. But last year we would also have used £10 of LPG in our old bolier; £15 for one bag of coal (and maybe even more); and the wood from the hedgerows.

I think in conclusion that there is something wrong with your installation (I've not heard of Calorex) and if I were you I should get a second opinion fro an independent ASHP installer.

In fact, I think you can't afford not to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback