Options
2»

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2016 at 5:29PM
    Options
    Tom cat often used to describe male cats despite them being neutered - or am I wrong here? Always thought Tom cat is a boy that was not neutered. Pls correct me if I am wrong?

It's one of the tricky things about English. To be more specific, a Tom cat is a male cat with or without his appendages - but an entire Tom is the giant git that comes round and beats up your pets and makes the garden smell really bad :)

I do mentally flinch when I hear or read about animals being spaded - makes me think of them being slapped on the bum with a shovel and told not to get pregnant again. And everytime I hear Cockerpoo from certain people (usually the ones who talk about spading round here), I don't initially think of a crossbred dog sold for a fortune, I first imagine somebody going to buy a bird and being convinced by a BYB that's what they are meant to look like, because they're a very rare and exclusive breed of budgerigar.

Oh yes, and Madam Fluffyknickers' breed is, apparently 'Man Con'. I thought a Man Con was something relating to length, myself. :cool:
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Diarrer - and with a capital letter... oh dear..
  • korvskrot
    Options
    Though I've lived in the UK for 6 years, and spoken English for even longer, I only recently took the time to learn that I was not looking for vets to spray my female guinea pigs... It's not easy!

Another one I'll give you to giggle at, though it's from a fair 15 years ago, I was sure the dog breed made famous by Disney was called dalmatino.

Myself, I mostly judge people who call nearly all primates 'monkeys.'

P.s. The only primate that can possibly be thought of as a pet is the human offspring. I know.
    Compact living, sprouting, change checking, long distance SO, survey junkie

Income boost since July 2016: £530 and a can of Jack and Coke...
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Never fails to amuse me as to how many animals get to have jags - I often wonder whether they mean a cat or a car :rotfl:

I still can't fathom where the term "jags" for vaccinations originates.
  • Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Never fails to amuse me as to how many animals get to have jags - I often wonder whether they mean a cat or a car :rotfl:

I still can't fathom where the term "jags" for vaccinations originates.

Whenever I hear the word "jags",I always assumed people have mis-heard the word "jabs",-the reference to the needle being inserted. "Jabs" is the word I have always known.
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Whenever I hear the word "jags",I always assumed people have mis-heard the word "jabs",-the reference to the needle being inserted. "Jabs" is the word I have always known.

Think it's more of a Scots thing to say jags instead.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    Couldn't help but chuckle at a FB post by someone who was worried that their pet needed crucial ligature sugery. :o

That sounds like something auto correct would do to make you look daft.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I once saw someone who was asking about feeding her dog a roar diet..... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure