Walk 2000 miles in 2017

Comments

• SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    bugslet wrote: »
    |I'm currently wearing Merrells, had them about three months and cost me £100.00. They are fantastically comfortable, they are a walking shoe as I'm mostly a pavement pounder, with a bit of beach and not too tough countryside thrown in.

I had a set of Merrells and the sole started to come away. I tried a replacement pair but exactly the same again. I was gutted as they were like walking on a cloud. I could have been really unlucky in that it could have been a bad batch, but it seemed like a split/tare rather than failed stitch/glue :(
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2017 at 9:16PM
    2016:
    426,163 steps 1871 floors 334.54 km 144,017 calories

2017:
    637,379 steps 1183 floors 510.12 km 158,149 calories
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    SplanK wrote: »
    I had a set of Merrells and the sole started to come away. I tried a replacement pair but exactly the same again. I was gutted as they were like walking on a cloud. I could have been really unlucky in that it could have been a bad batch, but it seemed like a split/tare rather than failed stitch/glue :(

Mine are three months old, I'll let you know when they die!.

Great steps Barry!
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2017 at 11:01AM
    With the amount of walking I now do, I think it is important that I don't compromise on shoes. The best most comfortable shoes I have found are " "on running". Check out the link for details.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dsports&field-keywords=on+running+shoes&sprefix=on+runnin%2Csports%2C261&crid=G7SQSFGCIETU

For off-road I have a pair of Scarpa Vortex.

Expensive options, but I prefer pain in my pocket to my feet ;)
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Jonbvn wrote: »

For off-road I have a pair of Scarpa Vortex.

Expensive options but, but I prefer pain in my pocket to my feet ;)

I know that one, I have 2 pairs of Scarpa walking boots and I love them.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • 55.31 miles to add for me for last week.

Would have been over 60 but had one day where I did nearly zilch.
    Fellow women will understand.....(time of the month and my energy levels took a nosedive)

Still happy with that though.

Takes me to 272.68 miles.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2017 at 10:37AM
    SplanK wrote: »
    Total: 251.7 (+37.7 for last week).

Tuesdays are weigh in day for me and I'm back into the 13st bracket and just 1lb heavier than my lowest last year!!! Now 13st 13

**has a celebratory mars bar**

As for boots, I'm taking a good look at Alt-berg Defenders. A couple of guys at work are raving about them, and done seem to be that costly! Able to get the sole replaced on them as well so should last a good while as long as I look after the uppers!
  • On the subject of walking boots/shoes, I am unfortunate in that I have very corrosive sweaty feet so buying expensive boots is just a waste of money in my case.
    I tend to go for the cheaper footwear, break them in slowly then just pound them to death, I'm lucky if a pair lasts more than about 3 months.
    I do however rotate through 3 pairs at a time so that each pair will get at least 2 days off in a row and at least some chance to recover.
    I am currently using 1 pair of Trespass boots (£39), 1 pair of Aldi walking shoes (£14) and an old pair of safety boots that I forgot I even had (free from work).
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I do however rotate through 3 pairs at a time so that each pair will get at least 2 days off in a row and at least some chance to recover.

I do the same. I have three pairs of boots. One well worn pair which leak so I only wear them on a dry single days walk, boy are they comfy like slippers. A newer pair same make, don't leak, good for wet days and longer walks. And another even newer pair, wide fitting, good for multi day walks. Then I have trainers, found in a skip, I wear these doing the daily three miles around my village, on tarmac.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 22 February 2017 at 12:43PM
    As someone who spent all my life in "The Shoe Industry"

May I say.

If you want your shoes/boots/trainers to last a long time

NEVER wear the same pair of shoes two days running. Shoes need to rest, relax and dry. Do not put them near heat. Let them dry naturally.

If you have a tendency to sweat a lot the gap between wearing should be increased.

When buying new shoes/Boots/trainers walk around the shop (a lot). If they rub/pinch/hurt in ANY way.....they will NOT get better. Do NOT listen to the sales person.

With brand new shoes wear them at home for an hour a day for two or three days.

All very obvious but the industry gets rich on the shoes that are bought but never worn and on shoes that are mistreated.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure