Gas or electric oven - which is cheaper to run?

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't forget that fan ovens cook much faster than gas, so for that reason are considered more efficient. As with all electric ovens you just need to remember to turn off before food has fully cooked to maximise on the benefits of a fan oven & not waste energy unecessarily.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Trouble is, it's all so difficult to quantify. A quick peep in my freezer suggests that fan ovens can be run about 20-30 degrees lower than conventional ones. But what will that equate to? 10% less power? Who knows? I'd like to find out, because I would choose a gas oven if it was significantly cheaper. It's a shame they don't have energy efficiency scores like electric ovens...
  • Gas ovens may be cheaper to run,but as everyone has already said electric ovens give better results.That said gas hobs are better to use so a duel fuel cooker with a fan oven is best in my opinion.
  • Electric ovens do have a more even temp throughout the oven, but apparently also dry the food out, which gas doesn't. Swings and roundabouts I guess! However, having done some more research, none of the major manufacturers seem to make built-in gas ovens (not in my price range, anyway) so I think the decision may have been made for me!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Bumping this thread back to life because I need to know something :D
    Does anybody know if Calor gas is cheaper than elect for a hob ?
  • twinmum
    twinmum Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Mardartha,

I am interested to know if you ever found out the answer to your question? We are spending a fortune on LPG and wondered if changing our gas hob/electric oven rangemaster would be worthwhile...

Thanks

Sarah
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Jumping on the end of this very old thread. I have always had a gas cooker (freestanding) I only had gas I suppose because my mum did and that is what I learned to cook on!
    I am having a new kitchen and had thought I'd have a built under gas oven and a gas hob, found one I liked, with the limited choice available, and have found out it is now discontinued!
    I shall definitely have a gas hob. I am now looking at perhaps changing to an electric oven and grill (think they like to call them double ovens for some reason) I certainly dont want a single oven. Do electric ovens break down at all? Being all electric although they cost less to buy initially, do they cost more in the long run?
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone? Bump!!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone? Bump!!

Electric ovens do break down. We replaced ours last year when it started incinerating things... it was about 35 years old.

I expect it could have been repaired but Mrs Gloomendoom wanted a change.
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With electric ovens like most things you get what you pay for, buy cheap and expect 5 to7 years service before they go. It is less clear in the mid to high range as it is quiet a consolidated industry (a bit like the motor industry).

So the same inner workings can be found inside ovens from Bosch, Neff and Siemens or at a different price range Zanussi/AEG/Electrolux etc'

We have a Zanussi electric oven for over 12 years now and it never needed much of attention but it was fairly pricey back when we got it. The wife's parents still cook on a 32 years old Belling gas.

From threads here in MSE you can probably see that some makers are persistent offenders in this area of oven reliability like Baumatic and Indesit, worth checking the Which web site and see.

Currently their best buy single builtin elec is a £250 job from Electrolux and close 2nd is a Bosch for over £1k!! so I suppose there are some exception to the rules.

About electrics dryer than gas, probably true, however there are electric ovens now that produce internal steam jets to compensate for this exact reason, see here.

Gas oven has less parts to go wrong so generally will last probably longer but no offend they suit less in the cooking life of most people hence their declining popularity.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport