benefits & winning money

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    C'mon Sangie. Even you must have your doubts?

Mother gives daughter 19k to hide? Continues drawing her bennies.
    Yes, of course I do. But I have my doubts about the OP. This thread has turned into an assault on benefit claimants in general with wild and unsubstantiated allegations about millions of them committing fraud. I am a completely unreasonable person - I expect people to tell the truth, I expect people not to cheat and steal, and I expect people to deal honestly with each other. I have no qualms about people who defraud the system (or the boardroom) being dealt with by the courts. I irresponsibly expect people who are unemployed to get jobs! In fact, personally, I would do away with benefits for the unemployed altogether and create armies of socially useful jobs (it isn't like there isn't an awful lot of work that isn't being done!) which people would be forced to do - and if they want a better job then they do what the rest of us have to do and work for one.

You see, it's amazing isn't it that the assumption is that if you stand up for benefit claimants, the immediate assumption is that your are some bleeding heart liberal? Given half a chance at running the world, I would probably be tougher than most people taking pot shots on this board. And by the way, I also don't just sit around on a website taking anonymous pot shots at countless millions - I put my politics into practice.

But what I object to is baseless allegations that millions (i.e. the vast majority) of claimants are liars and thieves. The vast majority of claimants are decent and honest people who, through no fault of their own, find themselves at the mercy of circumstances, and berated as !!!!less by idiots who know nothing about them.

For those who keep insisting that there are millions of benefit cheats - put up or shut up. Post links to the evidence that millions of benefit claimants are cheating or stealing.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    All this and the OP hasn't returned to post anything since just after the first post...
    The only other post, from them, is about getting money for a £5 note with a printing error.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2017 at 4:04PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The only other post, from them, is about getting money for a £5 note with a printing error.

Perhaps it was amongst the winnings that Jack (or James) supposedly banked for his mother!!
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Carrieanne
    Carrieanne Posts: 122 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Yes, of course I do. But I have my doubts about the OP. This thread has turned into an assault on benefit claimants in general with wild and unsubstantiated allegations about millions of them committing fraud. I am a completely unreasonable person - I expect people to tell the truth, I expect people not to cheat and steal, and I expect people to deal honestly with each other. I have no qualms about people who defraud the system (or the boardroom) being dealt with by the courts. I irresponsibly expect people who are unemployed to get jobs! In fact, personally, I would do away with benefits for the unemployed altogether and create armies of socially useful jobs (it isn't like there isn't an awful lot of work that isn't being done!) which people would be forced to do - and if they want a better job then they do what the rest of us have to do and work for one.

You see, it's amazing isn't it that the assumption is that if you stand up for benefit claimants, the immediate assumption is that your are some bleeding heart liberal? Given half a chance at running the world, I would probably be tougher than most people taking pot shots on this board. And by the way, I also don't just sit around on a website taking anonymous pot shots at countless millions - I put my politics into practice.

But what I object to is baseless allegations that millions (i.e. the vast majority) of claimants are liars and thieves. The vast majority of claimants are decent and honest people who, through no fault of their own, find themselves at the mercy of circumstances, and berated as !!!!less by idiots who know nothing about them.

For those who keep insisting that there are millions of benefit cheats - put up or shut up. Post links to the evidence that millions of benefit claimants are cheating or stealing.

I reckon you'll have an eternal wait for them to put up. Nanny reckons fraud accounted for 0.9% of the benefit bill during 2015-2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/528719/fraud-and-error-prelim-estimates-2015-16.pdf

Am intrigued by what you would class as 'socially useful jobs' and if they would displace people already paid to undertake them, and perhaps increase the unemployment total. As you likely know, there's legions of fit and able working age people in receipt of benefits who are unemployed but are not counted as unemployed.
  • skcollo
    skcollo Posts: 693 Forumite
    A lady who lives locally was claiming ESA as a single parent and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

However when her new partner "moved in" she took great pleasure in telling people how much better off she was going to be financially.

As her partner has a NMW job, I asked her how and she had no qualms in telling me that because didn't want to sponge off of her new partner, she was going to keep on claiming and it would be so easy for her to do as her new partner was going to use his parent's home as his official address for payslips and driving licences, etc.

She added that if her partner didn't move in then she would get the benefit money so you said "what difference does it make if he does move in?"

So as a family, they now have the income from his job and yet she still gets ESA, CTC, CB, HB and full CTS.
    Carrieanne wrote: »
    I reckon you'll have an eternal wait for them to put up. Nanny reckons fraud accounted for 0.9% of the benefit bill during 2015-2016. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/528719/fraud-and-error-prelim-estimates-2015-16.pdf
    The case I quote above is fraud, pure and simple.
    Just for the record I posted that millions were screwing the system. And they are.

Any couple doing 24 hours a week and getting a £30-40k lifestyle is poncing off the taxpayer, perfectly legal but morally reprehensible.
    Any single parent with a boy/girl friend who "visits" regularly, is screwing the system. Anyone hiding assets is screwing the system.
    All the self employed ebayers, big issue sellers,etc etc are having a laugh.
    The system is open to wholesale abuse, and it gets razzed on a regular basis.

Safety net. Dont make me laugh.
  • sangie595
    skcollo wrote: »
    Just for the record I posted that millions were screwing the system. And they are..
    Thanks for that. That's all the evidence we needed. In other words, you are lying about the millions committing benefit fraud.
  • skcollo
    Thanks for that. That's all the evidence we needed. In other words, you are lying about the millions committing benefit fraud.
    You can link to me posting that, I assume?
  • sangie595
    Carrieanne wrote: »

Am intrigued by what you would class as 'socially useful jobs' and if they would displace people already paid to undertake them, and perhaps increase the unemployment total. As you likely know, there's legions of fit and able working age people in receipt of benefits who are unemployed but are not counted as unemployed.
    You did get the fact that if one scraps unemployment, you can't actually displace people to increase the unemployment totals? But, let's see, off the top of my head - nobody has cleaned my street for a decade, the park has no litter pickers because we can't afford them, when winter comes nobody clears the streets because they aren't important to anyone except the people who live there, the elderly neighbours can't get any help because they aren't sick enough, the local primary school has 30+ in a class and can't afford enough teaching assistants and that's not even to mention the 121 help required by pupils who can't be statemented because there aren't the fund to support them... and what about universal affordable nursery care so that mothers can go out to work, etc.,etc. And I am not yet off the next street!

And yes I accept that there are fit and able people who are not in employment - but why should that make any difference? Everybody is a winner if we have a society that is full of contributers.

But all that is by the by. That's what I would like to see. But it still comes down to a poster who has repeatedly said that millions of people have deliberately defrauded the system, and now, challenged to produce facts, appears to be saying that they haven't defrauded anything at all... but they may as well have done. In their opinion. Maybe. Well not actually.
  • skcollo
    But it still comes down to a poster who has repeatedly said that millions of people have deliberately defrauded the system, and now, challenged to produce facts, appears to be saying that they haven't defrauded anything at all... but they may as well have done. In their opinion. Maybe. Well not actually.
    Still waiting for your link to my post accusing millions of benefit fraud.

Dont worry if you cant find it today, or tomorrow. Lets say you come back inside the next week.......or so.
  • sangie595
    skcollo wrote: »
    Still waiting for your link to my post accusing millions of benefit fraud.

Dont worry if you cant find it today, or tomorrow. Lets say you come back inside the next week.......or so.
    #59, #64, #73

Sorry that I couldn't post immediately, but I wasn't aware that you had a right to have me sitting around waiting for your request.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure