Is it possible to get an 'ok' bike for about £100?

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,903
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Given this is an MSE forum, surely time spent having a polite word with the local police about bike theft, local bike shops & refurbishers & where they sell dumped bikes may get the wheels needed for pottering well within budget & once that has either taken a grip (or not) then more funds can invested (or not).

A properly set up refurbished second hand bike has to be better value than a brand new ultracheap if only as you have learned where to go if/when there's a problem other than youtube?

Oh aye & Cyling Proficiency is usually targeted at children but chomp on your pride & learn/"re-sit" it - it may well keep you alive longer than you suspected.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    The reply had no reference to price. It was a comment on Halfords and bikes and that they sell decent Boardmans..

So your post was of little assistance to the OP then, would you agree on that?

My push bike got left behind during an international move so I ended up buying my neighbours for £50. It's a men's bike but I'm a tall lass and suits me fine. I did have to replace a chain which broke, and replaced the rear block at the same time but it still came in at under £100 for a Claude Butler Cotswold.

Second hand might be your best bet, and as there are lots of bikes abandoned in sheds let people know locally. My local newsagent also has quite a number of ads for bikes in your range. For the more expensive ones it's worth people ebaying, but not so much in your price bracket. You could even try Freecycle/Freegle.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 12:46PM
    So your post was of little assistance to the OP then, would you agree on that?

No I would not. Its the nature of forums to expand and even give the poster possibilities he may not have first thought of. Posts like this are also read by many more than just the original poster. But thanks anyway.

Over the years I have heard the very same story. Cheap rubbish bikes that keep breaking down put off move potential cyclists than any other reason. Someone will buy a cheap bike and weeks or months later wished they had spent a bit more. The experience on a half decent bike is completely different than the bottom range as is the enjoyment.

Like I have already said........if its just money. Then many do interest free for a year. If we could only give you a decent bike for a week and a £100 rubbish.............you would need no convincing.

If you know someone who has a little experience that could help on a second hand. Ebay is full of them and some decent stuff.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,775
    Forumite
    No I would not. Its the nature of forums to expand and even give the poster possibilities he may not have first thought of. Posts like this are also read by many more than just the original poster. But thanks anyway.

I'm well aware of how forums work, thanks. That was why I followed my easy question to you with another approach which met the OPs financial criteria.

You going on about a £650 hybrid was pretty irrelevant, although no doubt you'd dispute that too.
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 8:41AM
    I'm well aware of how forums work, thanks. That was why I followed my easy question to you with another approach which met the OPs financial criteria.

You going on about a £650 hybrid was pretty irrelevant, although no doubt you'd dispute that too.

Its not about what's irrelevant to others but more important in giving the OP options. Some of which the OP may have not thought of and reasons why. I gave him/her multiple. Lets allow them decide what's relevant.

This may help.....http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/police-auctions
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    Just been on Ebay for a look. Of course it depends on distance you are willing to travel but...........for a £100 .a few nice examples . If you are willing to spend a little more then there looks like plenty. Of course you may want a little service to go with it but worth a look......I would buy one of these decent second or third hand over a new £100 myself every day of the week.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 10:23PM
    Just been on Ebay for a look. Of course it depends on distance you are willing to travel but...........for a £100 .a few nice examples . If you are willing to spend a little more then there looks like plenty. Of course you may want a little service to go with it but worth a look......I would buy one of these decent second or third hand over a new £100 myself every day of the week.
    I agree, Ebay is the place to get a bargain.I took my time looking for the lightest carbon fibre bike and got a sub 8 kg beauty for only £600 with high quality groupset which was virtually new.(Planet X Pro Carbon )..Planet X are the UK leaders in lower priced good bikes..I think they set a new standard. Personally I would just do an ebay search on aluminium framed bikes..When I was searching there were plenty of good all aluminium bikes around to take a bid on.Just saw a decent looking ally mtb type bike for £100 in Nottingham
    Preloved and Gumtree are always worth a look too.could be cheaper than ebay and even the Police sell off bikes on an online auction..I d say they can be the cheapest of the lot
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620
    Forumite
    Some people just carry on riding a bike without adequate maintenance. When the chain is stretched, the cassette worn and the chainrings finished they buy a new bike. The old one is sold as 'used' on ebay. Some people buy a new bike with good intentions of taking up cycling but they never do. They use it two or three times. These are sold as 'used' on ebay. Obviously the canny purchaser will search out the latter.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    Go to a place that refurbs bikes to raise funds for charity and to offer youth training. The Salvation Army and others run these. You will get a decent used bike that has been properly checked over and serviced, and any damaged parts replaced.

A friend of mine bought one of these refurb bikes and gave it to me to sort it out. It was a right hotchpotch of technologies cobbled together from parts of different eras of cycling. I really couldn't help her with it. I'm sure there are some reasonable bicycles from these places, though.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:19AM
    The question was "it is possible to get an OK bike for £100". So talk of more expensive bikes is a point wasted on this discussion.

OP - you will get a perfectly decent bike for £100 second hand if you trawl gumtree and ebay. Let us know your rough location and I'll have a wee scan for you. I've been buying, using, refurbing and selling bikes as an occasional hobby for 25 years.

Here's an example or two near me http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Sirrus-Road-Bike-20-Premium-Aluminium-Frame-700C-wheels-21-Speed-/232382594065?hash=item361b14fc11:g:pUsAAOSwCmZZUWjF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-Subway-2-20-Aluminium-24-Speed-Hybrid-Bike-/232407913585?hash=item361c975471:g:dW0AAOSwmFNZZ1xI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure