Email spam

Options
Don't you hate those emails that say
You've received this message because you've indicated an interest in receiving information and special offers from Pulte Homes, Del Webb, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods or Centex via email

Yeah right, I really signed up for a mailing list for million dollar houses in https://www.pulte.com/homes/california/northern-california/san-mateo/promenade-209763

I am reliably informed that Pulte Homes by the time they wake up in a few hours time, will be the proud owners of 5,000 brand spanking new spam emails. Not just one time emails, but on 5,000 mailing lists that will all be periodically emailing them stuff about de-fleeing their dogs, replacing their windows, magic moneytree schemes, mastering guitar playing, international brides, member extensions, stiffening pills etc etc etc.

In return for spamming me, they are now being spammed. Maybe next time they will think harder about buying mailing lists and pretending that the recipients have signed up for their information.

I could not possibly condone using this service http://www.mailbait.info/run.html for a similar spamming exercise. Either to pulte@pulte.com or to a spammer of your choice. No, no, no. Don't do it. No really, don't do it. I'm not doing it. No really I'm not. And you shouldn't do it either. Really.
illegitimi non carborundum

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That seems a bit harsh... sure someone just didn't make a typo when putting their email address in? I get that fairly often as one of my email addresses is apparently very similar to another. I just unsubscribe from her stuff.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately I have ended up on a mailing list that someone appears to be selling to companies selling all sorts of shoite. They know full well they have purchased a list, and that I have not subscribed.

If everyone makes sure that spammers all end up on spam mailing lists, maybe they will cease and desist from spamming.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That seems a most strange way to sell a million dollar house though!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    Unfortunately I have ended up on a mailing list that someone appears to be selling to companies selling all sorts of shoite. They know full well they have purchased a list, and that I have not subscribed.

If everyone makes sure that spammers all end up on spam mailing lists, maybe they will cease and desist from spamming.

How do you know what email address they are sending the email from. If it's a spammer i doubt they would use a genuine address as the "from" address.
  • Froggitt
    Options
    They want the recipients to respond to them with "Yes please a million dollar house for me".......why on earth would they put an incorrect or invalid email address on the email?

BTW I accept that spamming is not their day job, however they are using spammy methods to market themselves.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options

Yes you have either clicked on a link in an email or opened and attachment that has told a spammer they have hit a live email address, so they will sell this to other spammers etc. How a spammer works is they will sign to to a hosting account with fake details and then spam from the server until they are found out and terminated , then they just move to another host and do it again and 9/10 and email will say its from lets say forumteam @ moneysavingexpert.com, but if you loo at the header it will give true sender details which would say something like hatbuzdsr @ funmai.ru, so to anyone it looks like its come from MSE, but infact it is from russia, so you click on links thinking it is from MSE, but now you have allowed spammers into your PC
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They want the recipients to respond to them with "Yes please a million dollar house for me".......why on earth would they put an incorrect or invalid email address on the email?

BTW I accept that spamming is not their day job, however they are using spammy methods to market themselves.

I would have thought that they have a like to website in the emails which gives the details of the house and how to contact them if they are interested in buying one.

So the email actually asks you to reply if your interested and doesn't like to a website?
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    To send bulk emails because you got an email that you class as "spam" is a bit harsh. The best thing you can do is to mark the email as "junk mail". When many people do this, the company's email will end up in the "junk mail" folder next time they send emails. Not only for you but for other people as well.
  • Froggitt
    Options
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    To send bulk emails because you got an email that you class as "spam" is a bit harsh. The best thing you can do is to mark the email as "junk mail". When many people do this, the company's email will end up in the "junk mail" folder next time they send emails. Not only for you but for other people as well.

Wait a minute.
    You've received this message because you've indicated an interest in receiving information and special offers from Pulte Homes, Del Webb, John Wieland Homes and Neighborhoods or Centex via email
    They know I have not shown any interest. They also know they have purchased a mailing list. As far as Im concerned, it is therefore totally unwanted spam.

Just like this spammer....
    I would love to speak to you about my will, Kindly get back to me....
    Bless.
    Catherine Benson

.....these people deserve to be spammed back so that they can see how useless a tool it is these days.....even if only half the emails got through, its still a few thousand, and if they are trying to filter out legitimate responses from the list, it will take them hours or days to do so.

Harsh.......not at all. They probably sent out tens of thousands of their spam. They deserve to have them back.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    You stated that sending bulk emails is a useless tool. If that's the case, they have already lost their money on buying an ineffective mailing list. Why waste your time with sending emails back?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure