Excessive Speeds Through Housing Estate

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you get run over by a car doing 30mph on the road then it's your fault.
    30mph isn't fast.
    Stop, look, listen.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Remember your driving test?

Default speed limits always apply, unless there are sufficient regular reminders to make a different limit apply.
    Default is 30 if there are regular streetlights, NSL if there aren't.

Legitimate, and properly signed, 20mph limits ARE enforceable - but should be self-enforcing through road furniture and speed calming measures. Many forces have chosen not to enforce them, but ACPO guidelines are that they should be enforced.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/2709.html

It all depends on whether the LA has classified it as a 'restricted road'. If not then the 30MPH limit does not apply
  • janninew
    janninew Posts: 3,781 Forumite
    Johno100 wrote: »
    But who put the signs up? I'd hazard a guess it was probably the developers when they finished building the estate, if so they've no more standing than those 5, 10 or 15mph signs you see in supermarket car parks.

I never saw who put the signs up as they are at the front of the estate and just appeared when I was at work. They say '20mph zone' and are similar to others in the area. We had small speed limit signs when the developers were still building but these all were branded with the company logo and have now been removed.
    :heart2: Newborn Thread Member :heart2:

'Children reinvent the world for you.' - Susan Sarandan
  • janninew
    stator wrote: »
    If you get run over by a car doing 30mph on the road then it's your fault.
    30mph isn't fast.
    Stop, look, listen.

No idea what this post is about. Who is getting run over at 30mph?

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2017 at 5:51PM
    Not sure if you can set up on a "private road" but the Community speedwatch scheme seems to be catching on around Hampshire and might act as a deterrent in your area. My link appears to be for Sussex and Surrey but pretty sure it is a nationwide scheme

They can report speeders and although this only leads to a warning letter from plod, it seems persistent offenders may be prosecuted and if a lot of speeding is noted the occasional "proper copper" lays in wait.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    Forumite
    What have the parks and football pitches got to do with the speeding? Are cars speeding through the park and pitch?

If you fear for children playing out, maybe start a campaign to get parents to teach their children to cross the road?

So you admit to speeding yourself but its wrong for others to do the same?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• KrankieLad
    KrankieLad Posts: 11 Forumite
    We have them all over town and hardly anyone seems to stick to the limit. I do but get more frustrated by those tailgating because they don't like the fact you stick to the limit.
  • janninew
    What have the parks and football pitches got to do with the speeding? Are cars speeding through the park and pitch?

If you fear for children playing out, maybe start a campaign to get parents to teach their children to cross the road?

So you admit to speeding yourself but its wrong for others to do the same?

As I've already said a car has crossed the pavement and crashed into a corner house, so even pedestrians on pavements aren't safe.

Yes I'll admit to speeding on the motorway, I've probably reached speeds of 80mph on the motorway along with many motorists, I'd never speed in a built up residential area which is heavily populated with young children.

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    Forumite
    I wonder if they were drunk and not speeding?

You could move, where i lived and grew up the roads were 30 and 40mph and nobody got run over.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 8:48AM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts