PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    :) Well ive managed to finish THE SAVAGE GARDEN- MARK MILLS, It took a bit of getting into but picked up the pace 1/3 of the way in , a cross between romance, history and a murder, enjoyed it but took me twice as long as my usual reads. Just picked up GIRL UNKNOWN - KAREN PERRY, from the ever growing pile in my bedroom (got another 4 from the chazza today for a quid) a psychological thriller, this is about a girl who walks into her tutors classroom saying she is his daughter, she gets entangled in their lives, her story doesnt ring true, is she someone with a dark agenda, Just my cuppa tea!! Happy reading.;)
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just finished Spandau Phoenix - Greg Iles. Good read if you like WW2 and conspircy theories.

not sure what is next on my list.

Maybe a re-read of Way of the Wyrd by Brian Bates.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Finished Philip Kerr's "The Pale Criminal", another Bernie Gunther story. I did enjoy it - and I learned a bit about late 1930s Germany.

I've chosen an easy read next.

33103042661_f821e5dd05_m.jpg51Ly8dx48UL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_[1] by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ames wrote: »

I'm now reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, which I'm loving, I couldn't put it down last night and I'm about halfway through.

Got Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children from the library this week - and have just finished it. Started it yesterday evening, then what better thing to do on a dull rainy day like today, except for finish it! Loved it. Looking forward to the sequels now.

Thank you for posting it as a good read. I might not have come across it otherwise.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• I'm currently reading how not to disappear by Clare furniss so far it's a bit of a slow plot but even though it's slow so far it's an enjoyable read.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Got Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children from the library this week - and have just finished it. Started it yesterday evening, then what better thing to do on a dull rainy day like today, except for finish it! Loved it. Looking forward to the sequels now.

Thank you for posting it as a good read. I might not have come across it otherwise.

You're welcome!

I don't know whether to watch the film or not, it could be great or it could ruin the book...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    I forgot to report in on Our Endless Numbered Days. It was OK, but not wonderful. I dud read it quite quickly, so good in that respect - it did carry me along.

I'm now reading Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig, and enjoying it very much. About two young Scottish lads who emigrated to America (Montana) in the 1890s, and how their lives panned out. A series of three, and I plan to read them all. This one was actually written second, but the first one is set many years later, so I decided to read them this way round.

Also re-reading Elizabeth is Missing, by Emma Healey, for my book group tomorrow. I thought it was very good first time around. A good insight into dementia, which I appreciated, having lived through it with my late DH.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We, the book group, all loved Elizabeth is Missing.

I've just finished Edge, a typically gripping Jeffrey Deaver.

I'm now reading Flood of Fire, the final instalment in the Sea of Poppies trilogy. I'm not sure it's going to go down well with the group, as Ghosh has spent much time as each character reappears, recapping. It's made it into quite avrambling tome, quite frankly.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ames wrote: »
    You're welcome!

I don't know whether to watch the film or not, it could be great or it could ruin the book...

Depends on whether you'll want to re-read the book, I guess.

I tend only to read things once nowadays, so watching the film after reading the book would just add a different dimension.

The other way round is a bit tricky - I loved the Marigold Hotel film, so I tried the book afterwards but I got deeply irritated with it due to the differences and didn't finish it.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Depends on whether you'll want to re-read the book, I guess.

I tend only to read things once nowadays, so watching the film after reading the book would just add a different dimension.

The other way round is a bit tricky - I loved the Marigold Hotel film, so I tried the book afterwards but I got deeply irritated with it due to the differences and didn't finish it.

I'm not sure if I would re-read it. I think I'll leave the film until I've read all the books, so that the film doesn't influence them.

I was the same with Philomena, the book and film are so different that they were (literally) different stories. I usually try and read the book first if I think I'll want to see the film/tv series.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure