Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    amc1 wrote: »
    Hi, when we originally booked/paid for our flight last year, the departure flight was scheduled for 10:00. A few weeks prior to the flight we were notified that the flight time was now 13:55. Can we claim via this method ?

Thanks.

Unlikely. I believe that airlines are able to make such changes without penalty up to a fortnight before departure.
  • millie67_2
    millie67_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place (Neanderthal woman!!)... In Aug 2005 my family flew from East Mids to Dalaman with Air Scandic. We were delayed by 32 hours - was due to fly on the 5th but eventually left on the 7th!) Air Scandic subsequently folded about a month later... Does anybody know if / how we could try and make a claim? I know we can try the credit card company but not sure if they would be interested almost 8 years on?? Many thanks in advance for any advice :beer:
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Even if the airline was still trading you're statute barred from issuing proceedings as it's outside the 6 year time limit
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sure glad someone has the politeness left to answer such questions :D
  • stuart300373
    Options
    hi there can any 1 advise me please, I was delayed in dalaman last year due to my Thomas cook plane never arriving from Manchester, I was with my wife and 15 year old daughter and 18 month old boy,we was shipped off to a hotel in the middle of nowhere and was there for 22 hours,do you think we would be able to claim compensation,also is there a template on here anywhere for writing a letter to the airlines?
    thankyou in advance
    stuart
  • dras
    dras Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'm writing to wizzair a Letter before Action after they rejected my claim saying that they disagree with the third ruling of the judgement. Do you think this should be valid enough to send them?

Re: Compensation claim for delayed flight
    Flight number: xxxxx
    Flight Date: xxxxx
    Booking Ref: xxxxx
    Passenger names: xxxxxx
    Amount claimed: 250 euros per passenger

Thank-you for your letter in response to my claim for delayed flight compensation. Our flight (detailed above) was delayed leaving xxxxx and we arrived in xxxxx some 13 hours after the scheduled arrival time. As such, I am seeking compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 for this delayed flight for amount of 250 euros per passenger, so a total of 500 euros.

Since your disagreement with the judgement of the European Court of Justice in the joined cases C-402/07 and C-432/07 is unlikely to be held as a valid defence to a compensation claim, then should you be claiming any such defence I should be grateful if such details could be provided to me within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Should you neither settle my claim in full nor provide a full defence to my claim within the above timescale, I reserve the right to issue legal proceedings without giving you further notice in writing.

I look forward to hearing from you

Yours sincerely,
    Wizzair replied first that they will not pay the compensation blah blah. Then I opened a case in Finnish Consumer Disputes Board and after a month I got reply from Wizzair that they received letter from Consumer Disputes Board regarding my case. And today I received 500€ compensation from Wizzair :beer:
  • kech_2
    kech_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    fisun1 wrote: »
    Hi I need to email my letter to Germanwings but the email address I have is [EMAIL="kontakt@germanwings.com"]kontakt@germanwings.com[/EMAIL] which hasn't actually been acknowledged. I could post the letter if I have to but to send it recorded etc is going to cost about £35 which I am reluctant to pay unless absolutely necessary. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it :)
    Thanks

Hi,

I emailed my claim to Germanwings using this email address: [EMAIL="buchungsinfo@germanwings.com"]buchungsinfo@germanwings.com[/EMAIL]. I had to get this of another passenger though, they certainly do not advertise it.

I'm still fighting with them about my compensation though so good luck! :)
  • P2258
    P2258 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi There,

im wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me:

I started of my claim back in Nov 2012, and after all the letters and forms, finally recieved the response from TUI/Thomson Airways.
    I wont type out the whole letter, but the following paragraph is what they said:

"The European Court Of Justice has confirmed that, as the regulation does not say how long passengers have to bring their claims, we need to look at our National Law. The Supreme Court in the UK has said that claims to do with "international carriage by air" are subject to the framework of the Monreal Convention which provides that claims need to brought within 2 years. We, therefore, cant consider claims for flights that were delayed more than 2 years"

Do I still have a case for compensation, or do I have to accept that this is correct and they do not have to pay out?

Ive tried reserching this but cannot find anything concrete.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    P2258 - suggest you look a little harder! > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4489367
  • harishvk
    harishvk Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    None whatsoever, they remain proposals only at this stage and are unlikely to be enacted until 2015.

Update !

US airways has now paid us - compensation plus moneyclaim court fee....Thanks to moneysavingexpert !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback