Smart meters in the tory manifesto!!

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am not resistant to change but I rarely take up new tech on its first outing usually waiting for the second incarnation that actually works. Having a smart meter is really of little to no benefit to me as I can afford the time and effort to read my meters once a month and work out the standing of my accounts. If I were to have one installed and then change suppliers it would make my current routine more difficult.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    I am not resistant to change but I rarely take up new tech on its first outing usually waiting for the second incarnation that actually works. Having a smart meter is really of little to no benefit to me as I can afford the time and effort to read my meters once a month and work out the standing of my accounts. If I were to have one installed and then change suppliers it would make my current routine more difficult.

In that case, you never had one of these?

https://goo.gl/images/PzE1f9

https://goo.gl/images/oT21gI

At which point did you enter the mobile phone market?

https://goo.gl/images/p4oMTW

I didn't have a 'brick' but i certainly had the next generation and i said i would never get a mobile phone...... :rotfl:

(Sorry to digress)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    But is any of the above really enough to stop me having a smart meter installed? No.

But it should be enough for people who don't already have a smart meter fitted at this point in time.

The kind of people who are being 'cold called' by their supplier or the kind who see the TV advert - who may not be aware of the SMETS1/2 issues and think "well I guess I've got to have one, so why not now?"

Once you have your SMETS1 meter it isn't just a case of being able to phone up and ask for a SMETS2 meter when they become available. Unlike the very latest iPhone there is little incentive or reason for the suppliers to rush to give you the latest model.

So someone getting a smart meter installed today might have to put up with the minor inconveniences of SMETS1 meters for a significant period of time. This is something they should be made aware of.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I'm now having to sit through TV adverts telling me to contact my supplier to get my smart meter fitted... no mention in the advert about them being optional, nor that the meter will be useless if I later switch supplier.

I've received 2 letters from Scottish Power recently - about 3 to 4 weeks apart.

The first implied, if it didn't actually say, that Smart meters are compulsory, with phrases like "you will be getting an upgrade" and "contact us to arrange your installation" and "if we don't hear from you we my drop in while we're in your area".

The second is headed "You are still eligible for an upgrade" followed by "make sure you don't miss out".

If I had got round to making an appointment and had a meter installed I might have been pretty miffed to find out I didn't have to have one.

I don't really care whether I get one or not but I don't like being misled.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GaleSF63 wrote: »
    The first implied, if it didn't actually say, that Smart meters are compulsory, with phrases like "you will be getting an upgrade" and "contact us to arrange your installation" and "if we don't hear from you we my drop in while we're in your area".
    I don't really care whether I get one or not but I don't like being misled.

From friends and family I've discussed smart meters with your experience is quite common - and it is what I've been pointing out in response to people posting that smart meters are not compulsory. Technically they aren't, but the technicalities don't matter if people are not being given the opportunity to make an informed decision - or worse are being led into believing there is no option.

If it was a financial product like packaged bank accounts or PPI then there would be clear rules about how they were advertised and promoted to make sure people understood the benefits, options and drawbacks.

And if the benefits of smart meters were properly understood by the bill paying population in general then the smart meter mass rollout programme would be dead in the water and common sense would finally prevail.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    As a regular switcher, I've always said I'll wait until SMETS2 devices become available.
    However, as I read my meters daily - sad maybe, but I've got years of data and it keeps the brain active analysing it - I decided to get my current supplier (BG) to install them, so that I can use the IHD to read my meters. I even asked BG what will happen when I leave them, which I almost certainly will later this year. Officially they said the IHD will cease to function, but gave me the distinct impression that although the financial figures it shows will be incorrect, the meter reading facility will still work. They won't ask for the IHD back, but if it fails, I'm back to reading the meters directly.
    If the suppliers will no longer be forced to install smart meters, maybe getting them now was a smart move in my case...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 7:44AM
    victor2 wrote: »
    I decided to get my current supplier (BG) to install them, so that I can use the IHD to read my meters.

Does the IHD you've got (will get) show the actual meter readings? If so, can you let us know the make/model please as this is something people often ask about on here.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Does the IHD you've got (will get) show the actual meter readings? If so, can you let us know the make/model please as this is something people often ask about on here.
    I have it and yes it does both electric and gas readings (standard electricity meter, not E7 though, so don't know if it would display both E7 readings).
    Electricity readings are updated every 10 seconds, gas only every 30 minutes, presumably to minimise the use of the battery in the gas meter, which supposedly has a 10 year life.
    It's BG branded but says geo (Green Energy Options Ltd) on the back.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 9:29PM
    But it should be enough for people who don't already have a smart meter fitted at this point in time.

The kind of people who are being 'cold called' by their supplier or the kind who see the TV advert - who may not be aware of the SMETS1/2 issues and think "well I guess I've got to have one, so why not now?"

Once you have your SMETS1 meter it isn't just a case of being able to phone up and ask for a SMETS2 meter when they become available. Unlike the very latest iPhone there is little incentive or reason for the suppliers to rush to give you the latest model

So someone getting a smart meter installed today might have to put up with the minor inconveniences of SMETS1 meters for a significant period of time. This is something they should be made aware of.
    =
    Hopefully suppliers will be now fitting the latest gas smart meters such as the Landis+Gyr G370 Zigbee Ultrasonic which is SMETS1/2 compliant with future proof upgradeable Over the Air (OTA)
    As a little aside I heard from a meter reading colleague last week.He was at a property with a Gas Safe engineer was there fitting a gas point which needed the gas meter removing.BG shortly afterwards rang the occupier to ask why the gas meter had been removed. Great to see that BG is on the ball and ready to act.
    Ebay has been selling gas meters for over 10 years at least in huge numbers so occupiers can substitute meters to steal gas. This has always been the best way not to leave evidence of gas theft..This adds to all our bills (like the smart meter program does ) .Another positive for smart meters and another reason why they should be mandatory for all with no options to refuse.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ...future proof....

:rotfl::rotfl:
    Ebay has been selling gas meters for over 10 years at least in huge numbers so occupiers can substitute meters to steal gas. This has always been the best way not to leave evidence of gas theft..This adds to all our bills (like the smart meter program does ) .Another positive for smart meters and another reason why they should be mandatory for all with no options to refuse.

Again, a justification for compulsory smart metering that just doesn't stand up to scrutiny or common sense.

If someone is willing to go to the trouble and expense of buying a fraudulent meter on ebay, what makes you think a compulsory smart meter will stop them stealing gas and/or electricity? Replacing the suppliers meter with your own one is illegal - if you are willing to break the law to obtain your gas/electricity then a smart meter is not going to stop you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport