Is it wrong to accept a drink given in error?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I went to a certain fast food restaurant recently with my kids, and when I collected my order I noticed I'd been given one too many drinks. My little boy asked me why I hadn't returned it as we'd been given it by mistake - is it wrong to accept an item you didn't order?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• I think you should have returned it.Your little boy noticed the mistake and for that reason alone i think you should have returned it. (chances are they would have let you keep it anyway).By keeping it you were giving him mixed messages.ie, it's ok to be dishonest if there is a fair chance you can get away with it.That's not a good thing to teach children.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    why is this posted in the Groceries board? It has nothing to do with food shopping or buying groceries!

Should be on the Going Out board IMO - or create a "Moral Dilemma" board to accommodate the strange questions MSE staff keep asking like this one and this.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MSE_Nick wrote: »

I went to a certain fast food restaurant recently with my kids, and when I collected my order I noticed I'd been given one too many drinks. My little boy asked me why I hadn't returned it as we'd been given it by mistake - is it wrong to accept an item you didn't order?

What did the MoneySaver reply to their little boy?

As for the question 'is it wrong to accept an item you didn't order?' There's is supposed to be no such thing as a stupid question on MSE....but that really stretches that idea too far.

BTW is this now what is passing for journalism in MSE Towers?
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

What did you tell your boy? I don't think it is particularly wrong to accept one drink (cost price is pennies and retail is 99p) but you need to be able to explain it to your son.

Also as other said, this isn't related to Groceries, should be on the going out board.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

There was a BOGOF offer
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • ilovemygarden
    ilovemygarden Posts: 110 Forumite
    moonshine wrote: »
    why is this posted in the Groceries board? It has nothing to do with food shopping or buying groceries!

Should be on the Going Out board IMO - or create a "Moral Dilemma" board to accommodate the strange questions MSE staff keep asking like this one and this.

or in the Arms on the Discussion board.
  • zappomatic
    zappomatic Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good to demonstrate honesty to children, but had it been an all adult group I'd have kept it as they'd only have poured it away if it had been returned.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    By keeping it you were giving him mixed messages.ie, it's ok to be dishonest if there is a fair chance you can get away with it.That's not a good thing to teach children.

Its not dishonest and your not getting away with anything as YOU did nothing wrong.
    They would only pour it away if you returned it.
    You may even get the server in trouble by there boss for being wasteful.

My answer may be different if buying different items.
    Eg you buy one watch and they put two in the bag.
  • Ferryboat_Woman
    Ferryboat_Woman Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2015 at 1:25PM
    By accepting Something in a shop or cafe which you haven't paid for is dishonest......when you KNOW you haven't paid for it. If they pour it away if you return it is not relevant to somebody's honestly.
  • stephen77 wrote: »
    Its not dishonest and your not getting away with anything as YOU did nothing wrong.
    They would only pour it away if you returned it.
    You may even get the server in trouble by there boss for being wasteful.

My answer may be different if buying different items.
    Eg you buy one watch and they put two in the bag.

Who did something wrong is missing the point, people make mistakes and humans are allowed to err. They hadn't paid for it so they should do the right thing and tell the truth.

Is this really a dilemma? What about if it's something more expensive? Where is the line? It's either wrong to keep something you haven't ordered and paid for or it's right the value or consequences of the product when given back should not really come into it.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport