MTB disc brakes...? Avid Juicy 3 -> DB3

Options
I have a ~6 year old bike with Avid Juicy 3 brakes. Last time I bled them, a lot of air seemed to get sucked in, so I guess I need to replace the seals. Also one of the concave-spherical calliper washers has split.

The seal replacement kit and replacement bolts/washers are about £12 each. Yet there's the Avid DB3 front brake on ChainReaction for £26.49.

Will I need to change the disc rotors to match these brakes?

Will the Juicy 3 bleed kit work with the DB3s?

Should I spend more money on brakes? Or repair the ones I have?

I really need to get my bike up and running! Can anyone help point me in the right direction?! :o

Thanks in advance! :beer:

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would ask Chain Reaction about compatibility. It also says Please Note: Mount Adaptors are NOT included. so there may be extra costs.
  • mysterymurdoch
    mysterymurdoch Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    MOst mount adaptors will work across different brakes. You are highly unlikely to need to change your rotors.

And if you want long lasting good brakes I'd be careful with cheap avids. If I had to buy cheap brakes I'd get shimano, they're so much better.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOst mount adaptors will work across different brakes. You are highly unlikely to need to change your rotors.

And if you want long lasting good brakes I'd be careful with cheap avids. If I had to buy cheap brakes I'd get shimano, they're so much better.

Thanks. I decided to replace the calliper seals, pistons and broken nut. About £35 to do both brakes.

I reckon that should make them almost like new, and I'll save up for some decent brakes when they need replacing.

Cheers all. :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport