Getting Romanian Cash

Hi folks,

I'm going to Romania for a weekend in a fortnight. My intention is to put my budget on my Revolut card and use that in most places, but I need a bit of cash.

I'm conscious that I can withdraw cash on the card, and that there's likely to be an ATM at the airport, but I like to have a small contingency to cover the first night's expense. I've needed it in the past as I've had my cards blocked in Poland hand had to get by on the cash in my pocket.

I'm presented with two options. My preferred option is to find somewhere that can order in maybe 50 quid's worth of Romanian Lev that I can pick up somewhere in this medium-sized town in Eastern England, ideally outside of normal working hours. The alternative is to take a wad of Euros and change them on arrival in Romania, which I don't really want to do as again I'm relying on things being available to me when I arrive.

Does anyone know a high-street exchange place that definitely can order in Romanian Lev? Tesco would have been my preferred choice, but won't allow me to select it as a currency. I can't order currency online with the Post Office as I'm not ordering enough. I could go in but I'll get hammered for the rate.

Or do I do the trusty traveller's standby, and just go with a wad of hard currency instead?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 9:47AM
    What about Thomas Cook ?

I cant see they have a minimum amount, can get ot home delivered if you like.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    DeeGee75 wrote: »
    I'm conscious that I can withdraw cash on the card, and that there's likely to be an ATM at the airport
    There will be. Take at least two other cards in case your main card is lost/stolen/blocked anyway. Almost any of them will be cheaper than a bureau, whether it's here or over there.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    If you're worried about all your cards being blocked, take some GBP cash which you can change in an emergency. Or take Euros if you already have a wad of them, but don't change GBP to Euros to then change to Lev, that would be ridiculously complicated and costly!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure