Am I disabled? Am I entitled to badge/benefits??

I have been diagnose with arthritis in my foot eventually after 2years or 'nothing wrong' after an x-ray 18 months ago when it was clear that the bones in my foot have disintigrated. I was then put on the waiting list for surgery & have had 1 year of pain/discomfort. My operation wacurings this week with low chances of curing my foot, at best just an improvement, at worst it will be worse than before.

I lost my job 2 months ago, mainly for not getting along with my supioriors, but maybe some resentment due to the time off I would be needing and the slight affect on my work.

I am only 21, am now on crutches for 6 weeks+ and have had part of my toe removed so will need physio.

Does this count as light disability? I am more interested in parking badge than benefits as I need to get to college and hopefully work (before my savings run out!) I can't drive for at least the 6weeks, and may have to get an automatic after that as I get pain using clutch (left foot)

I aslo have a 20month old son and he will be starting nursery/playgroup soon.

Sorry to witter on, just trying to include fact, any help would be great!:A
I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you get a higher rate of DLA you automatically qualify for a blue badge, but as you appear not to get that I would contact your local council and ask for a form for the blue badge, I think they charge a small admin fee to process the application, you will have to submit two passport photos, or digital photos passport type, and then ask to preform a small walking exercise so be assessed probably at local hospital

We got turned down original for my daughter who is also on a crutch and has balance problems, but we appealed and won, she doesn't get DLA yet we got turned down twice but am appealing.

Despite what people say its very hard getting DLA, you either have to a good actor or severely disabled. I personnel think the whole system sucks because my daughter cant get to a-b so she needs transport that costs, and she doesnt have any money

Good luck

BTW blue badge if you get it is for you and not the car so if someone takes you out in there car you can park in specified park areas as long as you display the blue badge and time disc thing
  • I filled in the application from on the direct gov website. They asked about contacting my Dr, but I don't know how much she knows as I've only been seeing a consultant surgeon for the last year +. Would my Dr. be up to date with all details??
    I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!:mad:
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I filled in the application from on the direct gov website. They asked about contacting my Dr, but I don't know how much she knows as I've only been seeing a consultant surgeon for the last year +. Would my Dr. be up to date with all details??

Everything is on computer these days, so I am sure your hospital consultant's details will be available on your GP's records.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• My sister-in-law applied for DLA as she smashed both feet falling off a roof. She can walk a bit but has balance problems and struggles with steps. She was turned down, but on appeal she was awarded full mobility and they said they couldnt understand why she was turned down. Hope this helps!
  • puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    edited 25 June 2009 at 12:00PM
    littlestressed, im glad mse dont delete old threads like yours!

i find myself in a similar situation to you. cant walk for more than about 10 minutes at a time. frequently nap during the day. most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor (like a lot of other people) treat me like its all self inflicted and so when i ask him about getting disability element to my working tax credit his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite

Why would MSE delete threads like this?

MSE tends to delete threads about fraud, flaming or unsolicited stuff, not genuine questions about benefits and entitlement.
    most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor ..... his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?

Why don't you help yourself then?

I don't see your point in relation to the OPs thread, he has arthritus and some foot removed.

Bozo
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    But puddings is helping himself. Puddings has joined the Pie Club and is doing really well at losing weight!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    juno wrote: »
    But puddings is helping himself. Puddings has joined the Pie Club and is doing really well at losing weight!

That's brilliant news and I am quite sure once the weight is off puddings will be able to live a 'normal' life with a job etc thus negating the needs for benefits etc.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    puddings wrote: »

i find myself in a similar situation to you. cant walk for more than about 10 minutes at a time. frequently nap during the day. most of my problems stem from being so overweight and my doctor (like a lot of other people) treat me like its all self inflicted and so when i ask him about getting disability element to my working tax credit his attitude is why should he do anything to help me when i dont help myself?

I am also unsure of how your post relates to the OP's? The OP says nothing about their condition being related to their weight?

I am overweight. I know that when I get past a certain size I get a lot of discomfort in my knees (makes me sound like a right heffer! :p ). It is not nice, but I do know that it is my fault. I certainly would not claim benefits for it.

Good luck with your weight loss.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • tanyalbeck
    tanyalbeck Posts: 70 Forumite
    This my fist time posting / talking out loud about this... but both my husband and I are insulin dependent diabetics and have spleen/ immune system issues where we take antibiotics daily (for life!) I'm also hypothyroid and on medication. On their own, each condition is manageable but the combination means that if i get a cold/ cough it can put me out for weeks!! because of this I am often sick and cannot earn (I am a slef employed childminder.) As these are long term conditioner that can't get any better, would it be worth applying for disability status? how do I do this? I would want to carry on working... it's just getting harder to do it full time with all the illness and FATIGUE that surrounds everthing!! Sorry to moan... any advice would be appreciated!!
    Tanya
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport