Hassle with Lowell Finace- Non Existant Debt- Received Reply

Hi
Thanks to all of you who helped with my hassle with Lowell Finance who claim I owe them money for a credit card I have never heard of, 'The Associates'.

I wrote back with the standard 'I do not acknowledge your debt, please provide a signed CCA' etc.

They have now sent this, it is definately NOT my signature, address, occupation or date of birth, only the surname is the same and the initials are different.

How do I now respond to this? Also, before I recieved this, they sent a letter saying that as the card was taken out over the internet, they could only provide an electronic copy of a CCA, I pushed it further and got a paper copy which arrived today. Quick Question....does an electronic CCA that is not signed, bind you?

I've never had to deal with this before and I would appreciate some advice, also, as yet they haven't put anything on my credit file, which is good, should I seek some kind of assurance that they won't?

Really fed up, they are rude, arrogant and unhelpful and I want to get the matter resolved ASAP.

Thanks
DM x
£2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
£1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145

Comments

• If its not your details it's not your debt. Write to them telling them that the debt is not yours and to b****r off and find the right person (obviously in nicer words than I've put it here. lol).
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Thanks immortal_angeluk, do I need to prove that I am not this person or is a letter sufficient?

Thanks again!
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    D_Mum, the onus is on them to prove that you owe the debt, not the other way round.

Lots of companies send out letters blindly to hope to get the right person.

Just send a letter like IA has suggested outlining your findings and tell them to get lost and that you do not expect any contact again (although bear in mind they will probably ignore this and contact you again!)
  • They are the rudest, coarsest, unhelpful and arrogant people I have ever had this misfortune to deal with!

When they rang me, presumambly by going through the phone book and everyone with the same surname, they tried to get me to admit I had a credit card (any credit card) and then said I had to pay, I replied with a 'Well, like you'd really pay someone elses debt, wouldn't you?' and I got back 'well if you don't, we'll take your house away and you and your kids will be homeless, ha!' When I said to them A) I live in rented (actually I don't) and B) I don't have any kids and C) I would be reporting them to the OFT/Telco and making a formal complaint, they just replied if I dare do such a thing I'd be sorry....OOOOOHHHHH!

Thanks again Charlotte!
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Sods! Call their bluff and report them! Swines!

What I find abysmal is that they talk to everyone like this. Those of us that are not savvy (or old perhaps) get suckered in and conned (basically).
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Next time if and when you call them or they call you record the conversation, tell them you are recording it at the outset and see if that changes their tone. I would report the incident to BBC Watchdog!!

Their attitude is inbelievable, I would be seriously stressed!! How dare they. I would certainly write a letter as Charlotte suggests.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • Don't know if this helps anyone, but we're also being chased for the debt of someone with the same surname as us, who lived in the same city as us 10 years ago.

Anyway, we've told them on a number of occasions that they had the wrong person and after receiving another letter today I've phoned them - "it must be a mis-trace, we'll delete the link between your address and the debtor", except they've promised to do this each time we've contacted them. So I've written to them again, enclosing a copy of a previous letter which told them that the person they wanted was not at this address. Accused them of being in breach of the Credit Services Association Code of Practice section 3L, which states that they must make sure that the person they are pursuing is the actual debtor and I've cc'd the letter to the CSA, FSA, Sky Subscribers Services and James Cornell the CEO of Lowell Portfolio. So hopefully that will be the end of it!

But I've managed to get the contact details for the CEO if they would be of use to anyone. They are: James Cornell Role : CEO Tel: +44 845 300 9410 Fax : +44 845 300 9411 Email: james.cornell@lowellgroup.co.uk.

They were on a press release website and I haven't tried the details myself (yet) so not sure how far they actually get you, but they might be of use to someone.
  • Georgecarol
    Georgecarol Posts: 164 Forumite
    Hi
    Thanks to all of you who helped with my hassle with Lowell Finance who claim I owe them money for a credit card I have never heard of, 'The Associates'.

I wrote back with the standard 'I do not acknowledge your debt, please provide a signed CCA' etc.

They have now sent this, it is definately NOT my signature, address, occupation or date of birth, only the surname is the same and the initials are different.

How do I now respond to this? Also, before I recieved this, they sent a letter saying that as the card was taken out over the internet, they could only provide an electronic copy of a CCA, I pushed it further and got a paper copy which arrived today. Quick Question....does an electronic CCA that is not signed, bind you?

I've never had to deal with this before and I would appreciate some advice, also, as yet they haven't put anything on my credit file, which is good, should I seek some kind of assurance that they won't?

Really fed up, they are rude, arrogant and unhelpful and I want to get the matter resolved ASAP.

Thanks
    DM x

This has just happened to my neighbour last week. She came over to borrow my computer to try and search for some info on this. Apparently, she's received 2 letters and a phone call. They caught her by surprise with the phone call and they asked for her address and date of birth so they could discuss this with her and she gave it to them:eek:
    Anyway, she called them yesterday to find out more about it and it's a debt for a Capital One card that was done over the internet, (she's never had a computer), The card was issued April 24/2001 and there was a payment made on 15 June/2001 for £28:confused: That's the only payment that was ever made and the debt is for £889.39. They asked if she's ever lived at a specific address and she said she did, but she moved in 2000 according to her and she says she's never had a credit card.
    She seems genuinely confused and embarrassed, she only brought it to me because I've helped her out a couple of times before with letters and info and such, she has no close family.
    Anyway, they've asked for a copy of her signature as they apparently have a credit agreement there. She's all for doing that, I've told her to hold on til I can get some advice. They've already got a lot of info out of her as she's a bit too trusting and I've read about a lot of scams to do with this. According to Lowell, the address, DOB and name match. The customer service rep was apparently quite nice, explaining to her that 99% of online cards are basically fraudulent and she just needs to send in her siggy:confused:
    Anyone have any advice on what she can do????
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This has just happened to my neighbour last week. She came over to borrow my computer to try and search for some info on this. Apparently, she's received 2 letters and a phone call. They caught her by surprise with the phone call and they asked for her address and date of birth so they could discuss this with her and she gave it to them:eek:
    Anyway, she called them yesterday to find out more about it and it's a debt for a Capital One card that was done over the internet, (she's never had a computer), The card was issued April 24/2001 and there was a payment made on 15 June/2001 for £28:confused: That's the only payment that was ever made and the debt is for £889.39. They asked if she's ever lived at a specific address and she said she did, but she moved in 2000 according to her and she says she's never had a credit card.
    She seems genuinely confused and embarrassed, she only brought it to me because I've helped her out a couple of times before with letters and info and such, she has no close family.
    Anyway, they've asked for a copy of her signature as they apparently have a credit agreement there. She's all for doing that, I've told her to hold on til I can get some advice. They've already got a lot of info out of her as she's a bit too trusting and I've read about a lot of scams to do with this. According to Lowell, the address, DOB and name match. The customer service rep was apparently quite nice, explaining to her that 99% of online cards are basically fraudulent and she just needs to send in her siggy:confused:
    Anyone have any advice on what she can do????
    it''s up to them to prove she owes it not the other way around. they need to send HER the agreement
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • misspoppy
    misspoppy Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you should report them I can't believe they actually threatened you with all that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure