Small Claims Advice

I'm sorry if this is the incorrect thread , I wasn't quite sure where to post it.
Myself and my partner recently purchased 2 exotic pets from a local breeder. Unfortunately they both became unwell within a few weeks of having them and one has now had to be euthanized.
The vet suggested that I report the breeder because she is breeding unwell animals that are not 'fit for purpose'
The insurance would not cover the vets fees which are now in excess of £3,000 because the first set of blood tests indicated the animals weren't well , which suggested to the insurance company that we purchased animals with 'underlying health conditions.'
I've contacted the breeder who didn't want to know. I've been in touch with citizens advice who said that I could take them to a small claims court to try and recover some costs.
I don't know whether or not this is worth my while as I cannot afford any further expense if it's unlikely anything will come of it.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Not the usual type of question we have on here, but i`ll do my best to help.
    You can make a claim against them via moneyclaimonline, if you go to the website it lists the cost of doing this.

They dont sound like a very reputable breeder, so may not even bother responding to the claim, and you may win by default.

Anyway, say you do win, and obtain a CCJ, in that instance, as the debt would be over £600 you could escalate the matter to the high court for enforcement action, you know, those blokes you see on the telly.

That would be the best, and fastest route to getting your money back.

As long as the guy has cash or assets to seize, you should be ok.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Admo10 wrote: »
    I don't know whether or not this is worth my while as I cannot afford any further expense if it's unlikely anything will come of it.

That's the difficulty, isn't it.

If the person does not own property and isn't employed it can be quite difficult to extract payment from them, and bailiffs are easy to evade if you know what you are doing.

Remember those bailiff-!!!!!! programmes are just advertising vehicles for specific commercial companies.

The positive point is that it is not expensive to start the process. You can make a £3000 claim for £105 but a £3000.01 claim costs £185
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure