UPS - Drivers unable to read addresses

UPS have unfortunately delivered a parcel to me that is not for me but for another house in the village. However, UPS seem to be incapable of believing me that they've delivered to the wrong address and on the tracking reference it say's that it's been delivered to the correct one and are refusing to collect and redeliver. Had this not been the 3rd time this has happened in the past month, I would have taking the parcels round to the correct house. In all 3 cases, the driver has rung the doorbell but by the time I get there, they've already driven off. The last time, a driver did come back and collect. I just hope that the correct recipient got their parcel in the end.
Has anyone else had these issues with UPS? Any hints/tips on how to get them to collect? I feel like i'm turning into a UPS drop off point and no one has told me.
Sealed Pot Challenge Member 015 - Target £50 (2015=£70; 2014=£74.40; 2013=£61.76; 2012=£82.50)
The Official DFW Nerd Club Member # 1063
Proud to have dealt with my debts - DMP with Payplan Started 11/08 Ended 11/14 Est. Debt £27,681

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Any idea who the retailer is? Although they probably wouldn't talk to you as you are not the intended recipient, you could still bring it to their attention.

You could also pop round to the correct address and talk to the person there and see if they can kick up a fuss with the retailer about it.

Not a lot more you can do if they are insisting they have delivered to the correct address.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2016 at 6:41AM
    terri72 wrote: »
    UPS have unfortunately delivered a parcel to me that is not for me but for another house in the village. However, UPS seem to be incapable of believing me that they've delivered to the wrong address and on the tracking reference it say's that it's been delivered to the correct one and are refusing to collect and redeliver. Had this not been the 3rd time this has happened in the past month, I would have taking the parcels round to the correct house. In all 3 cases, the driver has rung the doorbell but by the time I get there, they've already driven off. The last time, a driver did come back and collect. I just hope that the correct recipient got their parcel in the end.
    Has anyone else had these issues with UPS? Any hints/tips on how to get them to collect? I feel like i'm turning into a UPS drop off point and no one has told me.

You shouldn't have to contact them but surely a phone call would do the trick?
    I can't think of how a conversation would go" you've delivered a parcel to my house that's not for me".
    Them "no we haven't"
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Send them an invoice for storage. Make terms payment within 28 days or the goods will be disposed of (on eBay :))
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Why not just not say anything?
    Either they will contact you and apologise or you will come into some free goods in 6 months or so.
    The addressee will complain they haven't received, then the ball is firmly in SEC. Someone Else's Court.

(Note if this was a one off I wouldn't suggest it, but as it's a regular occurrence I think it's valid)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 October 2016 at 2:34PM
    Is the address nearby so you could drop the parcel off. You shouldnt really have to do it but the customer would get the item and it would be end of it for you.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    robatwork wrote: »
    Either they will contact you and apologise or you will come into some free goods in 6 months or so.
    The addressee will complain they haven't received, then the ball is firmly in SEC. Someone Else's Court.

(Note if this was a one off I wouldn't suggest it, but as it's a regular occurrence I think it's valid)

The problem with this is that it's quite selfish as the only one who will suffer is the intended recipient. They will probably have a long battle on their hands to get a replacement/refund as the retailer will say UPS have evidence of it being delivered. It could take a while to get to the bottom of it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why not just contact the addressee and get them to pick up the parcel at your convenience?

They might turn out to be really lovely and you'll make a nice new friend.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I had an issue with UPS not being able to find my address, so I e-mailed them the image off Google Street View.
    Don't they normally need signing for ?
  • Fortyfoot
    Fortyfoot Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    UK Mail are just as bad!

Fortyfoot
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robatwork wrote: »

The goods would never become OPs - although the OP would have a defence after 6 years of "statute barred".
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure