Past due credit solutions (unsure if fake)

Options
Hey, I received this email in my spam box today, It's incredible vague in its context, I'm unsure whether its a fake or not. I checked my credit report, I already know I'm past due on something (Around £40, but I am still in the credit limit) Nothing else showed up on the report that I should be worrying about. Anyway, this is what the email said -

Customer ID:
RE: an important matter
19/04/2016
Dear Account Holder: MR
)
This email (including any attachments to it) contains information which is confidential. It is intended only for the use of the named recipient. If you have received this email in error as it does not relate to you, please let us know by emailing [email]info -- @pastduecredit.co.uk[/email] ensuring the case number is included in your email and immediately delete this from your system. Please note, that in these circumstances, the use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. We apologise for any inconvenience that may have been cause to you. Pastdue Credit Solutions Limited cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network.
We request that you contact us to discuss an important matter by calling us on:
Telephone Number: 0141 447 0549
Quoting Customer ID:
Our opening hours are 8am to 8pm Monday to Thursday, 8am to 7pm Friday & 9am to 1pm Saturday.
If you would prefer that we call you back please email us at [info AT pastduecreditDOTcoDOTuk] with your contact telephone number ensuring that your case number is included. Alternatively you can find all of our contact details at pastduecreditDOTcoDOTuk
Pastdue Credit Solutions Limited
Registered Office
1 Blair Court
North Avenue
Clydebank Business Park
Glasgow
G81 2LA
Limited Company Registered in Scotland No 287794
Calls to the above telephone number will be charged at your standard network rate and will be recorded for quality and training purposes.
Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for accounts formed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (amended 2006).
Credit Services Association Logo

Email came from no-reply -- @pastduecredit.co.uk It's just so vague, It doesn't offer me any details at all nor even who I even owe the debt to. Is this worth bothering with?

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    They are a genuine company, but there has been a lot of fake debt collection email spam going around at the moment, so you are right to be HIGHLY wary.

Whether genuine or not, it is clearly "fishing" for a response based on zero info.

I can't see any reason why you would want to respond.

If there is a genuine debt out there somewhere, they must surely write to you properly in the end with proper details rather than 'phish' in this dodgy way. Unless/until they do that, I personally would treat as spam!
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 April 2016 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Hi

It’s worth checking all three of the main UK credit reference agencies if you’ve only checked one so far, just to get the full picture.

I agree this email isn’t worth responding to. If a debt collection agency really believe you owe them money they need to make more of an effort and provide more information.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Janet_Court
    Options
    I've had a similarly vague letter from Pastdue. I phoned them because it said they were acting on behalf of Vodafone. In conversation they said I owed £263.70 for a phone number ending in 6468....a number I don't have and have never had!
    I called Vodafone who confirmed this was not my account, and also confirmed that if they were owed money by me they would have contacted me direct (having been a customer of theirs since 1998!).
    I called back Pastdue who said I needed to get that in writing from Vodafone. I pointed out that they should do that!
    I did ask what Pastdue would do if I didn't respond by paying the amount they were demanding or by providing a letter from Vodafone to prove my innocence. Their answer was 'we will keep sending you letters and emails'! Is that it?!
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Janet Court,

If you'd like me to look into this further, email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check that I've received it.

Thanks,

Lee

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • centurion01
    Options
    i have received a few letters now from them regarding a ridiculous debt amount from a property i lived in for 6 months but the letter states between 2006-2008,all most 10 years ago.
    i repeatedly asked for evidence and i do not accept responsibility but they don't want to give me it without confirming my details,and i won't.
    surely this time period makes it statue barred? no money or acceptance has been made and its now effecting my family due to the suggested amount,i wouldn't mind the property they seem i owe a debt for i was only there 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure