Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• ToiletLicker
    Options
    Thanks Kim_13
    I will say I am gutted. I kept telling myself I wasn't going to open another regular savings account, (this site/forum is tooooo addictive) but buckled and took the plunge.
    I will call them up again and let you know how I got on.
    Once again Many Thanks
    #009 :T
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 10:07AM
    Options
    Annoying for me was September payment I opened the account with £1 then sent 249.00 to make it up to £250 but it left my HSBC account on the 29th but wasn't credited to Virgin until 3rd October so I have only credited £2 in September but my standing order for October didn't go either but could have bounced back as it was for £250 and I had already funded with £249.

Let's see what happens with Novembers payment by SO if it fails again I will use faster payment instead even with the delay in crediting into Virgin as will do it beginning of the month, although all my other regular savers are done end of month out of my wages paid on the 23rd.

Can you make multiple payments to this account like you can with nationwide and Kent! As long as it doesn't exceed £250.

That may help me as I can put my WTC straight into it.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Annoying for me was September payment I opened the account with £1 then sent 249.00 to make it up to £250 but it left my HSBC account on the 29th but wasn't credited to Virgin until 3rd October so I have only credited £2 in September but my standing order for October didn't go either but could have bounced back as it was for £250 and I had already funded with £249.

Let's see what happens with Novembers payment by SO if it fails again I will use faster payment instead even with the delay in crediting into Virgin as will do it beginning of the month, although all my other regular savers are done end of month out of my wages paid on the 23rd.

Can you make multiple payments to this account like you can with nationwide and Kent! As long as it doesn't exceed £250.

That may help me as I can put my WTC straight into it.

Westie983

Yes you can.

Opened mine 26/9 with FP £10 from Santander 123. Account appeared online 27/9 so I sent another FP £240 from Santander. Both were credited on the day they were sent.

Earliest I could set up SO from Santander was 3/10, so instead I changed it to 1/11 and sent another FP £250 1/10, which was credited on the same day:)
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have completed this weekend's update for the first page of this thread.

- Mansfield BS Regular Savings (Issue 4) interest rate dropped from 2.5% to 2.25% (post 4)
    - Mansfield BS Young Regular Saver interest rate dropped from 3% to 2.5% (post 2)
    - Santander 123 current account interest rate dropping from 3% to 1.5% from 1st November 2016 (post 9)
    - Cambridge BS Regular Saver (Issue 5) added to post 4 paying 2% fixed interest for 12 months on up to £300 per month, branch only

Many thanks to all the forum users who have provided useful information throughout the week.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I just notice the letter I received and also key product info of this account which seems to me quite unusual.

"Annual interest is paid on March 11. Monthly interest is paid on the 10th day of the month.

Maturity date:20 October 2017"

How actually this one works for those who open this account say September this year and have asked to be paid the annual interest instead of monthly interest ???

1. Do they get interest on March 11 ??
    2. What happen after the maturity date on 20 October 2017, it seems to me the interest from March - October (or the total interest if March has not been paid) will be automatically added on the maturity and you could close the account ?? If not does it mean you will need to keep your account until March the following year to get interest ??
    tg99 wrote: »
    You'll get interest from Sep to March on March 11 and interest from March to Oct on maturity on 20 Oct.

Depends what happens at maturity. See the response I got (see: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71381263&postcount=4454)
    I confirm interest is paid on 11th March. Once your account matures, interest will be paid upon closure/transfer.

I took this to mean that the rates were fixed until the maturity date, and that afterwards the account lives on and you'll be offered some other (usually poor) rate - but that you could close the account and access the interest. I'm not so sure now! :)
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have not read it carefully on the T&C. Wonder is there any restriction to hold newly launched Cambridge BS RS i5 together with Regular Saver i4 if you already have RS i4 ?? Leeds BS allow this what about Cambridge BS ??
  • moi
    moi Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have not read it carefully on the T&C. Wonder is there any restriction to hold newly launched Cambridge BS RS i5 together with Regular Saver i4 if you already have RS i4 ?? Leeds BS allow this what about Cambridge BS ??

In the "Key features":

"You can have one Regular Saver account with the Society at any one time"
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone knows if it is possible to downgrade FlexDirect down to FlexAccount to benefit from a further issue of Flexclusive Regular Saver after the FlexDirect 12 months of 5% bonus interest, with the option of reopening a new FlexDirect after a 12 months break to gain the 5% bonus again if the promotion is still available?

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Anyone knows if it is possible to downgrade FlexDirect down to FlexAccount to benefit from a further issue of Flexclusive Regular Saver after the FlexDirect 12 months of 5% bonus interest, with the option of reopening a new FlexDirect after a 12 months break to gain the 5% bonus again if the promotion is still available?

Yes that is what I have been doing ....
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that is what I have been doing ....

Oh goody! :) Nationwide is my favourite [STRIKE]bank[/STRIKE] building society in the interest department!

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport