Job application...HELP

Have made the decision to make the move and start applying for a new job as I am getting bored and fed up in my current job and need a change.

I have not completed a application form for about 4 years and I am out of practice so need a little advice, on the application do you complete in block capitals or just plain "normal" writing as it only says please complete in blue or black ink.

In the employment section I need to complete "reason for leaving" and wondered what is the best reason to write down that i.e. further my career, new challenge?

Need some help from the MSE

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PabloNeruda
    PabloNeruda Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Lie. Hope this helps.
    Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river has been poisoned
    and the last fish has been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    slowen wrote:
    Have made the decision to make the move and start applying for a new job as I am getting bored and fed up in my current job and need a change.

I have not completed a application form for about 4 years and I am out of practice so need a little advice, on the application do you complete in block capitals or just plain "normal" writing as it only says please complete in blue or black ink.

In the employment section I need to complete "reason for leaving" and wondered what is the best reason to write down that i.e. further my career, new challenge?

Need some help from the MSE

Thanks in advance

Hello slowen

If your handwriting is legible and neat, write normally............if it's not, use block capitals.;)

A reason for leaving? What about 'continuing professional development' or 'career advancement'?

I wouldn't recommend that you lie (despite the advice in the earlier post:rolleyes: ) either in the application form or at your interview.

Good luck with your job application.

Kind Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Agree absolutely with Nile. Also, when I was job hunting I used to make a photocopy of all forms BEFORE I started filling them in, and did a practice one so I could work out how much fitted into each box etc.

Also no problem (unless it says not!) to add a typed sheet for the 'additional information' page, rather than hand-writing all that.

Tailor the form to the job and person specifications. If it asks for Word and Excel, for example, make sure it's clear where and when you've used them, don't assume that it'll be obvious from the kinds of job you've done in the past. If it says they want someone 'responsible', say what responsibilities you've held.

Good luck!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • PabloNeruda
    PabloNeruda Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Just lie. Jeez.
    Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river has been poisoned
    and the last fish has been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just lie. Jeez.
    I've just read your signature. On that basis it's not worth arguing with you.

To the OP, by all means do not tell the whole unvarnished truth about why you're leaving. The truth might be "I'm bored out of my skull", but "I don't feel I'll be able to progress any further with my current employer" would be an acceptable alternative. As are your own original suggestions.

Good luck!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • MommaCC
    MommaCC Posts: 257
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just lie. Jeez.

You say this as if you think the op needs to lie. :confused: What is the point of lying when the truth is what an employer would like to hear?

Having been with his current employer for 4 years and with no sign of development, Slowen is looking for a more challenging position.

Good luck with your job application :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport